The Procter & Gamble Company, also known
as P&G, is an American multinational consumer
goods company headquartered in downtown
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.
Its products include pet foods, cleaning
agents and personal care products.
P&G History: A Legend of Firsts
1837 Brothers-in-law William Procter and James Gamble start a partnership,
making and selling candles and soap in Cincinnati
1859 P&G sales reach $1 million
1879 The inexpensive, but high-quality Ivory soap is introduced
1924 P&G is one of the first to create a market research department to study
consumer preferences and buying habits
1955 Crest, the first toothpaste with fluoride clinically proven to fight cavities, is
1961 Pampers is introduced and eventually replaces cloth diapers
1980 Sales reach $10 billion
2002 P&G develops Naturally feminine pads specifically to meet the needs of low-
income women in Latin America.
2005 High Frequency Stores, Consisting of nearly 20 million stores across the
world, FS represents a particular opportunity in fast-growing low income
Today P&G operates in 80 countries worldwide, employing more than 100,000.
Has 13 billion dollar brands in its portfolio: Charmin, Tide, Pantene, Iams,
Folgers, Crest, Olay, Always, Ariel, Bounty, Downy, Pringles, Pampers.
In 2012, P&G recorded $83.68 billion dollars in
Fortune magazine awarded P&G a top spot on
its list of "Global Top Companies for Leaders",
and ranked the company at fifth place of the
"World's Most Admired Companies" list.
Chief Executive Magazine named P&G the best
overall company for leadership development in
its list of the "40 Best Companies for Leaders
William Procter, a candle maker, and James Gamble, a
soap maker, emigrated from England and Ireland
• Their father-in-law called a meeting and persuaded his
son-in-laws to become business partners. On the 31st of
October the Procter & Gamble company was created.
• They began by supplying the Union Army with soap and
We Show Respect for All Individuals
The Interests of the Company and the Individual Are
We Are Strategically Focused in Our Work.
Innovation Is the Cornerstone of Our Success.
We Value Personal Mastery.
We Seek to Be the Best.
We Are Externally Focused.
P&G touches and improves the lives of about 4.4 billion
people around the world with its portfolio of
trusted, quality brands.
With operations in about 80 countries, P&G brands are
available in more than 180 countries worldwide.
P&G is one of the largest and
fastest growing consumer goods
companies in India.
Established in 1964, P&G India
now serves over 650 million
consumers across India.
Head & Shoulders
Its presence pans across the Beauty segment, the
Household Care segment as well as the Health care
segment, with trusted brands that are household names
Vicks, Ariel, Tide, Whisper, Olay, Gillette, Ambipur, Pam
pers, Pantene, Oral-B, Head & Shoulders, Wella and
Superior product propositions and technological
innovations have enabled P&G to achieve market
leadership in a majority of categories it is present in.
P&G India is committed to sustainable growth in
India, and is currently invested in the country via its five
plants and over nine contract manufacturing sites, as well
as through the 26,000 jobs it creates directly and
Our sustainability efforts focus on Environmental
Protection as well as Social Responsibility to help
develop the communities they operate in.
P&G operates under three entities in India - two listed
entities ―Procter & Gamble Hygiene and Health Care
Limited‖ and ‗Gillette India Limited‘, as well as one
100% subsidiary of the parent company in the U.S. called
‗Procter & Gamble Home Products‘.
As of July 1, 2011, the company structure is categorized into two
"Global Business Units" with each one further divided into "Business
Segments" according to the company's 2011 Annual Report.
Dimitri Panayotopoulos is Vice Chairman of Global Business Units
Health Care segment
Snacks & Pet Care segment
Fabric Care & Home Care segment
Baby Care & Family Home Care
• In October 2008, P&G was named one of "Canada's Top
100 Employers" by Mediacorp Canada Inc., and was
featured in Maclean's newsmagazine.
• Later that month, P&G was also named one of Greater
Toronto's Top Employers, which was announced by
the Toronto Star newspaper
• 26 of P&G's brands have more than a billion dollars in
net annual sales, according to the 2012 Annual
Report and P&G Corporate Newsroom.
• Most of these brands—including Bounty, Crest and
Tide—are global products available on several continents.
• Procter & Gamble products are available in North
America, Latin America, Europe, the Middle
East, Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
Manufacturing operations are based in the following regions:
China (31 wholly owned factories) and other parts of Asia
Procter & Gamble produced and sponsored the first radio
soap operas in the 1930s.
Procter & Gamble also was the first company to produce
and sponsor a prime-time show.
The company has actively developed or sponsored
communities, i.e. BeingGirl.com(launched in
As of 2000, the company had 72 "highly stylized
Ranked #5 among the ―Global Most Admired Companies‖
Consistent #1 ranking within industry on ―Most Admired‖
list for 26 of 27 total years and for 14 years in a row
Named to list of the Global 100 Most Sustainable
Corporations in the World, with top rankings from 2000–
National Association for Female Executives:
Recognized by the National Association for Female
Executives as one of the Top 50 Companies for Executive
Ranked #10 on the ―World‘s Most Respected Companies
Ranked #25 among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity
Ranked #9 on the Top Companies for Recruitment and
Ranked #25 among the ―World‘s Most Innovative
Silver Award for Corporate Social Responsibility Programs
by Readers Digest, 2008.
Indo-American Chamber of Commerce:
―Best US Company operating in India under the FMCG
Sector‖ by the Indo-American Chamber of Commerce
(IACC)‘s 7th Corporate Excellence Awards.
AC Nielsen Survey:
Ranked #3 as the ―Employer of Choice‖ across the targeted
campuses in a survey conducted by AC Nielsen.
Business Today has rated P&G amongst the most preferred
companies by management students across India.
Easy to use
• Ariel is a brand of laundry detergent.
• Actonel is a brand of osteoporosis drug.
• Bounty (paper towel) sold in the United States, Canada,
and the United Kingdom
• Braun is a small-appliances manufacturer specializing in
electric razors, coffeemakers, toasters, and blenders.
• Crest is a brand of toothpaste.
• Dawn is a brand of dishwashing detergent.
• Downy/Lenor is a brand of fabric softener.
• Duracell is a brand of batteries and flashlights.
• Fusion is a brand of men's wet shave razors and is the quickest
P&G brand to have reached $1 billion in annual sales.
• Gain is a brand of laundry detergent and fabric softeners.
• Gillette is a safety razor manufacturer.
• Head & Shoulders is a brand of shampoo body wash, and
• Old Spice is a brand of aftershave and shaving cream.
• Ivory is a soap.
• Nice 'n Easy is a hair coloring product.
• Olay is a brand of women's skin care products.
• Oral-B is a brand of toothbrush.
• Pampers is a brand of disposable diaper.
• Pantene is a brand of hair care products (conditioners/styling
• Prilosec OTC is a brand of heartburn medicine co-marketed
• Pringles is a brand of potato chips.
• Puffs is a brand of facial tissue.
• Secret is a brand of antiperspirant and deodorant.
• TAG is a deodorant and body spray.
• Tide is a brand of laundry detergent.
• Vicks is a brand name of over-the-counter medicines (Formula
44, Sinex, NyQuil/DayQuil)
• Wella is a brand name of hair care products
(shampoo, conditioner, styling, and hair color).
• Whisper is a brand of pantyliners sold primarily in Asian