Stone Steps Street Historical Museum of the City Warsaw Barbican City walls House Salvatore Museum Guild of Handicrafts Leather them. J. Kiliński House at St. Anna House of Fukiers Museum of Literature Museum of Arts and Precision Crafts Church of Sts. Martin Gothic Bridge House At Pelican Cathedral John the Baptist Shrine of Our Lady of Grace Kanonia Street Royal Castle Pod Blacha Palace of Tunnel of route W-E Dung Top Mermaid monument Zygmunt Column THE PLAN OF THE OLD TOWN IN WARSAW
Warsaw's Old Town (Polish:Stare Miasto, colloquially: Starówka) is the oldest historic district of the city. It is bounded by Wybrzeże Gdańskie, along the bank of the Vistula, and by Grodzka, Mostowa and Podwale Streets. It is one of Warsaw's most prominent tourist attractions. Until 1817 the Old Town's most notable feature was the Town Hall built before 1429. In 1701 the square was rebuilt by Tylman of Gameren, and in 1817 the Town Hall was demolished. Since the 19th century, the four sides of the Market Square have borne the names of four notable Poles who once lived on the respective sides: IgnacyZakrzewski(south), Hugo Kołłątaj (west), Jan Dekert (north) and Franciszek Barss (east). In 1918 the Royal Castle once again became the seat of Poland's highest authorities: the President of Poland and his chancellery. In the late 1930s, during the mayoraltyof Stefan Starzyński, the municipal authorities began refurbishing the Old Town and restoring it to its former glory. The Barbican and the Old Town Market Place were partly restored. These efforts, however, were brought to an end by the outbreak of World War II.
During the Invasion of Poland (1939), much of the district was badly damaged by the German Luftwaffe, which targeted the city's residential areas and historic landmarks in a campaign of terror bombing. Following the Siege of Warsaw, parts of the Old Town were rebuilt, but immediately after the Warsaw Uprising(August-October 1944) what had been left standing was systematically blown up by the German Army. A statue commemorating the Uprising, "the Little Insurgent," now stands on the Old Town's medieval city wall. After World War II, the Old Town was meticulously rebuilt. As many of the original bricks were reused as possible. The rubble was sifted for reusable decorative elements, which were reinserted into their original places. Bernardo Bellotto's 18th-century vedute, as well as pre-World-War II architecture students' drawings, were used as essential sources in the reconstruction effort. Warsaw's Old Town has been placed on the UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sitesas „an outstanding example of a near-total reconstruction of a span of history covering the 13th to the 20th century”
Market of Old Town
Old Market Place
Warsaw Mermaid at the Marketplace of Old city
Dziekania Street (Deans Street) Wąski Dunaj Street (NarrowDanube Street) tenement „Under Saint Anna"
Kamienne Schodki Street (Stone Steps Street)
Zapiecek Street (Zapiecek means place behind the stove)
Sundial on Zapiecek
Contemporary Art Gallery "Zapiecek"
Tenement with the bas-relief of a lion, called "Under the Lion"
The narrowest tenement in Poland and Europe, at Canonry Street Tenement "Under Christ„ or „Salvator”
Queen Anna’scorridor connecting the Royal Castlewith the St. John’s Catedral, 16th century.
Castle Square Column of King Zygmunt at the Castle Square
View of the Old Town from the terrace on KrakowskiePrzedmiescie68. Column of Sigismund, castle, in the depths of Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and the Jesuit Church
St. John's Cathedral, facade Appearancepre-World War II
Castle Square as seen from the Podwale street
Church of Sts Anne at KrakowskiePredmieście, right next to the Castle Square
Fragment of the Old Town fortifications
Tenement "Under the basilisk" with preserved neo-classical facade. Inside is a stylish restaurant that resembles well-known legend about Basilisk.
Piwna Street(Beer Street) tenement "At the pigeons'