. The Royal Palace, where many battles and wars took place, is one of the country’s symbols. Three churches, five museums, and many buildings, memorials, streets and squares of historical interest and a theatre can also be found here.
road tunnel under Castle Hill ao lado funicular – Adam Clark Square - On 6 March 1856, the tunnel was opened for foot traffic, and on 30 April 1857 also for motor traffic. Being 350 meters in length, it leads through under the Buda Castle to the other side of the hill. ---- The Széchenyi Chain Bridge Ádám
Budapest Castle Hill Funicular or Budavári Sikló funicular, you will have great views from there to Pest and also can admire an 1870’s machine.
The Turul is the most important bird in the origin myth of the Magyars (Hungarian people). El ave mítico Turul es según las antiguas leyendas húngaras , un enorme halcón o águila , que já fazia parte del escudo de armas de los húngaros desde Atila el huno
Buda Castle – Lions’ Gate - The ruins of the old castle ... they weren't labeled, but the Buda Castle goes back to 1247 and due to war and monarchy - has been destroyed and added to many times
The enormous building at the southern end of Castle Hill has been the royal palace, in various styles and guises, since the 14th century. It was rebuilt 400 years later and required major reconstruction work after World War II. It now houses the Budapest History Museum, the Hungarian National Gallery and the National Széchenyi Library.
Budapest Historical Museum is located at one of the hotspots of Budapest, in the pristine baroque palace of Buda Castle. This museum consists of three museums: the Castle Museum – in the Castle; the Kiscell Museum – in Obuda; and the Aquincum Museum, also in Obuda. Exhibition highlights include Gothic sculptures from the Royal Palace of Buda, Budapest's prehistoric era, the Baroque sculpture hall and the medieval Royal Palace of the Buda Castle.
The Event Hall at the Viennese Gate (Bécsi kapu) of the Castle is one of the most glamorous venues of the World Heritage site Castle. The beautiful spaces of Budavár Saloon serve as an excellent location for gala dinners, conferences, concerts, weddings, presentations, parties and press events.
Matthias Fountain (detail) in the Royal Palace - is a monumental fountain group. Neo-Baroque work is one of the most frequently photographed objects in Budapest. Particularidade sempre destacada: o cão que “bebe” a água da fonte…
The National Széchényi Library (Országos Széchényi Könyvtár-OSZK) was founded in 1802, by the highly patriotic Hungarian aristocrat Count Ferenc Széchényi
Labyrinth’s entrance - The maze below Buda Castle has a long, rich history, tracing back to half a million years ago. The prehistoric caves were linked by passageways during the Middle Ages, utilized by castle dwellers and castle hill residents alike. Gentelman's Street (Úri utca) at No.9 is the entrance to the cave labyrinth. The flags on the left side mark the entrance to the Buda Castle Labyrinth
The labyrinth is located 16m under the surface is a unique cultural and turist spectacle around the world. The fountain is a tounge-in-cheek memorial to King Matthias, who was supposedly so rich he plumbed his fountains to produce red wine instead of water. Fountains aside, Hungarian red wine sucks.
Em seguida ao castelo, distingue-se um panorama
Budapeste surpreende a cada novo ângulo, a cada variação de luminosidade: ainda o Bastião dos Pescadores, tendo por primeiro plano a igreja de Santa Ana .
Derivando-se o foco para 45 graus a direita, mantem-se a imagem do castelo e já se divisa parte de outra edificação histórica de Budapeste- Bastião dos Pescadores.
Um dos edifícios públicos de grande importância situados em Buda Castle é o The National Archives building (Magyar Országos Levéltár)
Nos jantares descortina panoramas inesqueciveis...
An old-fashioned chairlift, but only dating back to 1970, lifts you over the tree tops to János Hill covering 1,040m (3,412 ft) of forested area from as high as 262m (859 ft). From here you can take a steep 10- to 15-minute walk to Budapest's highest point. At the top is the neo-Romanesque Erzsébet Kilátó (Lookout Tower), built in 1910.
On the top of János Hill, at the highest point of Budapest, stands the Elizabeth Lookout (Erzsébet-kilátó), built in 1908-1910). Erzsberet é nome húngaro da rainha Elizabeth, conhecida por Sissi.
the "Music Fountain" ( Zenélő szökőkút ), a fountain near which music is played and light shows are performed in summer (it is close to Margaret bridge). The water springs out according to music, so that the fountain seems to dance at the various classical themes reproduced. The last piece played is Con te partirò sung by Andrea Bocelli;
The fortress is a U-shaped structure built about a central courtyard, being 220 metres long, 60 metres wide, and 4 metres tall. It had a complement of sixty cannons. On the plateau and nearby are other points of interest like the Liberty Statue , Hotel Gellért , the Gellért Baths and the Gellért Hill Cave.
The word Citadella is exclusively used by other languages to address the Citadel located upon the top of the strategic Gellért Hill in Budapest , Hungary .
In 1927 the outdoor wave pool was built by Artúr Sebestyén and in the same year 60 new rooms were added to the hotel. The wave pool produces waves to the cheers of the bath-goers with the original machinery to this very day. The Jacuzzi pool was opened in 1934.
Université polytechnique et économique de Budapest - Budapesti Műszaki Egyetem - The Budapest University of Technology and Economics (Hungarian: Budapesti Műszaki és Gazdaságtudományi Egyetem or in shortMűegyetem), in Hungarian abbreviated as BME, English official abbreviation BUTE, is the most significant University of Technology in Hungary and is also one of the oldest Institutes of Technology in the world, having been founded in 1782.
Pps delz@-budapest - i - left bank-the historic part and more
Budapest – I of IIIleft bank of the Danube River - the historic part and more
View of the old Pest and of the old BudaBudapest, Hungarys capital, is located on the banks of the Danube. It was founded on November 17, 1873 with the merge of the cities of Ôbuda (in Hungarian, "Old Buddha", founded by the Romans in 89 BC) on the west bank of the Danube, with Pest on the east bank. Its inhabitants are called Budapestians. The Magyar people, as the Hungarians like to be called, comes from the northern region of the Ural Mountains, where lived a nomadic life. (click)
Around 900 AD the region was occupied by the Magyars, who founded the Kingdom of Hungary andraised a castle in 1241 in a location that would be called Buddha. In 1361 Buda became the capital ofHungary. Once free from Ottoman dominion, Hungary was granted an autonomous government within the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy and then, in 1873, the two towns were merged creating Budapest. (click)
On the left bank of the river Danube, up on the hill of Buda, stands the Royal Palace in Buda Castle, which in fact is a neighborhood served by several bus and subway lines.
The Royal Palace, where many battles and wars took place, is one of the symbols of the country.Three churches, five museums, many buildings, monuments, streets and squares of historic interest and a theater can also be found in the area covered by what is considered the Castle.
Castle District (Várnegyed) is also famous for its medieval houses, Baroque and 19th centuryedifices and by its churches and public buildings. The hill were it stands is linked to Clark Ádám Square and to the Chain Bridge (Széchenyi) via the Castle Hill Funicular.
Under Buda Hill, since 1857, with one of its openings at Ádám Clark Square, runs a 350m road tunnel towards where Széchenyi Bridge (Bridge of Chains) begins.
By the side of the tunnel, the funicular provides uphill transportation to the Castle, even on days when Budapest displays itself under another of its charms: wet with rain...
Buda Hill Funicular or Budavári SiklóThe little trip is an opportunityto admire the smooth operationof a machine of the seventies ...1870...The starting point of the cablecar leading to the gate of thecastle is located at the AdamClark Square right in frontwhere sits the city’s GroundZero.From the square, when lookingup to the top of the funicular,one can see the sculpture of"Turul" on a pillar of thatcastle gate. (click)
Next to the Habsburg Gate is located the sculpture of the Turul. The mythical bird Turul, accordingto the old Hungarian legend would be a huge hawk or eagle, which was already part of the Hungarians coat of arms since the times of Attila, king of the Huns.
Buda Castle - Lions Gate - The ruins of the old castle were not marked, but the Buda Castle dates back to 1247 and was destroyed and rebuilt many times.
The enormous building at the southern end of Castle Hill has been the royal palace from thefourteenth century. It was rebuilt 400 years later and required major work after World War II. Itnow houses the Historical Museum of Budapest, the Hungarian National Gallery and the National Széchenyi Library.
The Historical Museum of Budapest is installed in the early primitive baroque palace of Buda. Thisinstitution consists of three museums: the Museum of the Castle - within the palace, the Museum Kiscell, and the Aquincum Museum, both located in Obuda District.
Budavár Saloon - near Gate Vienna (Bécsi kapu), is one of the most fascinating sites of the Castle. It’s beautiful spaces are excellent venue for gala dinners, conferences, concerts, weddings, presentations, parties and all sorts of events of the highest social or cultural level.
Matthias Fountain (detail)- on one of the external walls of the Royal Palace’s building, itencompasses a monumental group of sculptures. Neo-baroque artwork, it constitutes one of major photo focuses of Budapest. Outstanding particularity: the dog that "drinks" from the Fountain’s water...
Széchényi National Library - (Országos Széchényi Könyvtár-OSZK) was founded in 1802 by an enraptured Hungarian patriot - the aristocrat Count Ferenc Széchényi.
Buda Castle - another of the many works of art and beauty that decorate the Royal Palace.
Uri Street, in Buda Castle district– in this street is found the entrance to the Labyrinthlocated under Buda Hill, with a long and rich history dating back to half a million years. Its other entry is located in Lovas út, n. 4 A.
This is the building at 9, Uri Street - Uri utca in Hungarian - where is the main entrance to the Labyrinth of Buda Castle, currently closed.
The labyrinth is located 16m below the surface and is an unique cultural spectacle throughout the world. This font is a jocose memorial to King Matthias, so rich that from its springs poured red wine instead of water.
After the Castle, a panorama formed by the Calvinist church in Szilagyi Dezso Square is dintinguished in the foreground; a little above it the Fishermens Bastion and, in the background, St. Matthias Church.
Budapest surprises us at each new angle, at each variation of luminosity:still the Fishermen’s Bastion, with St Anne’s Church in the foreground.
Deriving the focus 45 degrees to the right, stands still the image of the castle and it is already possible to see part of another historic edification of Budapest: the Fishermen’s Bastion.
Both Matthias Church and its neighbor the Fishermens Bastion are situated in the heartof Buda Castle (district). The church was originally built in Romanesque style in 1015, but thepresent building, from the second half of the 14th century, is built in florid Gothic style and has been extensively restored since the late 19th century.
The Bastion is a belvedere terrace with many stairs and paths.
The Bastion bears the name of the guild of fishermen which was responsible for defending this stretch of the city walls in the Middle Ages.
The terrace of the Fishermens Bastion (Halaszbastya) consists of a fortress of seven towers, representing the seven Magyar tribes that settled in the Carpathian Basin in 896.
The towers and walls of the Bastion have a medieval look, but were actually built in 1902 to complement the Mátyás (Mathias) Church.
From the towers of the terrace there’s a panoramic view of the Danube that encompasses, beyond the Parliament, the Margarette Island, Old Pest, as well as the east side of Gellért Hill.
A bronze statue of Stephen I of Hungary on horseback, from 1906, can be seen between theBastion and Matthias Church. In its pedestal in Neo-Romanesque style are represented some episodes of the King’s life.
The gorgeous Mathias Church, built between XIII and XV centuries, has a belfry measuring 89m in height. Its delicate roof of colored tiles is amazing.
The National Archives building (Magyar Országos Levéltár), located in Buda Castle, is one of the public edifices of great importance and beauty.
Udvarház Restaurant – lunch - refinement, fine cuisine, pleasant views and also open air.
Udvarház Restaurant, located on top of Hármashatárhegy (that is part of Buda Hills), offers unforgettable views of Budapest at dinner.
A cable car in old-fashioned way, dating back to 1970, passes over the János Hill trees covering 1040 m of forest at a height of 262m. From there after steep 15-minute walk you arrive at the highest point of Budapest - 527 m - where was built the neo-Romanesque:
Elizabeth Belvedere (1908-1910), Erzsberet, so called because in 1882 the Queen Elizabeth (Sissi), wife of the Austro-Hungarian Emperor Franz Joseph, made an excursion to the top of János Hill.
According to unofficial history,Queen Elisabeth (Sissi), wife of the Austro-Hungarian Emperor Francis Joseph, mayhave had a long and rumoredaffair - perhaps platonic - with one of the greatfigures of Hungary’sHistory, Julius Andrássy (Gyula Andrássy)-Hungarian Count that, among other prominentpositions, came to be Minister of ForeignAffairs of Hungary.Vandereycken, Walter & Van Deth, Ron, "TheAnorectic Empress: Elisabeth of Austria",History Today, Vol. 46, April 1996.Image – www.imagenesdesissi.blogspot.com (click)
Margaret Island, that in the Middle Ages was called the Island of Rabbits, since the nineteenth century is the result of the junction of three separate islands in order to control Danube’s flooding. Originally, the island was 102.5m above sea level, but at the junction was raised to 104.85 meters.
Traffic-free Margarete Island is the playground of Budapest, with sports stadium, numeroustennis courts, outdoors swimming pool complex, open air theater, Japanese garden and rose gardens, two spa hotels, a beer garden, and still retains the early medieval ruins.
In summer, the "Singing Fountain" of Margaret Island offers sound and light shows. The waters gush in the rhythm of the melody, so the source seems to dance at the various played classics themes.
The island is covered by parks with beautiful scenery and is a popular recreation area.
It retains medieval ruins, reminders of its importance in the Middle Ages as a religious center.
The lush beauty of Margarete Island can be admired in all its extension, between Margaret and Arpad bridges,
Rudas Bath (Rudas fürdő) is a center of thermal and medicinal baths. It was the first built - 1550 -still during the Ottoman rule. Maintains many of the key elements of a traditional Turkish bath, such as its Turkish dome and octagonal pool. It is located on the left bank of the Danube, right next to the Elizabeth Bridge.
Visible from almost everywhere Budapest, Gellért Hill - 235m high - with the statue of Liberty at its peak, is one of the citys memorable landmarks. The statue was erected in 1947, Hungary by thenunder USSR rule, in memory of Hungary’s liberation from the Nazi by Soviet forces after the end of Second World War.
Next to the Statue of Liberty is rooted the Citadella, built by the Habsburgs after the War of Independence 1848-1849. It now houses an open air museum telling the hill`s history.
The Citadella,, a fortress built in 1851, is a U-shaped structure 220m long, 60m wide, and4m high. It had a complement of sixty guns. Today, without guns, it’s destined to host large social and peaceful events.
At the foot of Gellért Hill is located the famous Danubius Gellért Hotel and the Gellért Baths. Also on the hillside, next to Liberty Bridge, is located the church of Gellért Hill Cave – overlooking the Danube.
By the Gellért Hill and the Liberty Bridge (Szabadság), is the famous Danubius Hotel Gellért, a first class four star hotel. It was built between 1916 and 1918 in Art Nouveau style, having already passed through two reforms.
Much of European royalty, as well as world leaders and international personalities have stayed at Danubius. Queen Juliana of the Netherlands spent her honeymoon here.
In 1927, an outdoor pool was built, but only in 1934 the machinery was installed to turn it into a wave simulation pool to the delight and applause of his guests.
The Budapest University of Technology and Economics, abbreviated as BME in Hungarian and in English BUTE – its official abbreviation, – was founded in 1782. It is the most important university of technology in Hungary and also one of the oldest institutes of technology in the world. (click)
Architectural beauty of building façade at Budapest University of Technology and Economics..
Already seen the main attractions of Budapest on the left side of Danube river and going down Buda Hill, we are back to the level of the banks of this river to go on toward:
Chain Bridge, which allows us to cross to the right bank of the Danube, where was the ancient city of Pest.
Images – All taken from the Internet with their credit.Music – Mazurka Brillante S.221- by Franz Liszt - Transcription by Zoltan Kocsis - Live in Művészetek Palotája BudapestCreation, research and formatting: Delza Dias Ferreira email@example.comRevision of texts: Claudia RicciEnglish version: Flavio Musa de Freitas Guimarães Previous Archives: www.culturesandart.com São Paulo, III – 2012