View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He was a Scottish physician and writer, most noted for his stories about the detective Sherlock Holmes, which are generally considered a major innovation in the field of crime fiction, and for the adventures of Professor Challenger. He died of a heart attack at age 71 on 7 July in 1930.
2. The characters. Write a short description of the main characters in each story:
- Sherlock Holmes : he is an inspector. He can solves mysteries that the police cannot solve.
Dr.Watson: he is a friend of the great detective, Sherlock Holmes.
A Scandal in Bohemia
- Irene Adler: she is a very beautiful woman . She lives quietly and sings at concerts.
- Helen Stoner: she was about thirty years old, but she already had some grey hair.
- Dr Grimesby Roylott: he gets along very badly with everybody, because he is violent.
The Five Orange Pips
- John Openshaw: he is a young man. He is about twenty-two years old. He wore a raincoat and his face was pale.
3. Plot, summary. Write the plot or summary of each story.
A Scandal in Bohemia :
The future king of Bohemia, Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, is about to get married and he is afraid that Irene Adler, his former girlfriend, can sabotage his wedding with a photo of the king and her. She asked help from Sherlock Holmes. He saw that the photo is in Irene Adler’s house and the next day, he went into the house. Being in Irene's house, she makes the plan and runs away with the photo, but decides not to show it in public, because she is loved by a better man than the king.
Mrs. Stoner visits Holmes to talk about the death of her only sister. They had a very violent stepfather and did not get along with anyone. A few nights before her sister’s wedding she heard a whistle and her sister got up suddenly saying it had been the speckled band. After that she died. Mrs. Stoner thought that it was the gypsies who lived in her garden. Holmes knew that her father’s had something to do with the subject, so that night he slept in the room of the deceased and made several tests, Holmes raised the suspicion that the murderer was the father. Demonstrated when at night, they heard a whistle, turned on the light and a snake with polka dots started beating. Upon entering the room Roylott, mole snake had killed his trainer. That showed that the safe had a bowl of milk which was always closed.
During the storm that hit London's Baker Street, came when John Openshaw five orange seeds in an envelope with the initials KKK . Also his father, Joseph Openshaw, and his uncle Elijah had received a similar shipment. All these, including John, were killed. Holmes suspects that behind the initials KKK is the Ku Klux Klan. They had been on the boat Lone Star . They could never know who were the murderers because they died in the sinking of Lone Star .
- Bohemia: during the nineteenth century in Bohemia, there was a nationalist and anti-autonomy Rebelion in the Czech Republic.
Transport: during the 19th century, in the transport highlighted the steamboats, the railroad and the discovery of the fuel.
- The ku klux klan: is the name of three distinct past and present far-right organizations in the United States, which have advocated extremist reactionary currents such as white supremacy, white nationalism, and anti-immigration, historically expressed through terrorism.