Built c. 1830 by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (1789 -1865) who occupied the house only in the summers to escape the heat and malaria of summers on the coast. Sold to Rev. John B. Adger 1850 who added the double piazza to house and expanded the farm to over 1,200 acres. Owned by members of the Adger family as a summer house until 1911. Clemson University acquired in 1930’s after US Government acquired ~150 area farms in in foreclosure. Pendleton Historic Foundation acquired it in 1966 along with 11 acres to restore and preserve it.
Before restoration byPendleton Historic Foundation In 1970’s
2nd story with4 bedrooms 1st floor with 4 rooms with center hallway House originally Plantation kitchen in Had only 2 rooms dependency on each floor.
• Original colonial period 4-story building c.1790 operated as travelers tavern until early 1820’s•Main house begun in 1825 by Lewis Ladson Gibbs and his wife Maria Drayton Gibbs but both died before house completed.•Farm operated by their son Lewis Reeves Gibbs, renowned naturalist who assisted Audubon in SC.•House later owned by the Broyles and Latta families. Maine house expended from two-rooms over two rooms to four over four rooms.•The plantation was operated by about 30 slaves.•Owned by Adger-Bowen family during Civil War After Civil War, the farm became known for its Jersey cattle.