1. NOW I GET IT… WHATSHAREPOINT IS AND WHY INEED ITSPTechCon San Francisco 2013Mark Rackleymark.firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Summit 7 systems is a premier provider of consulting and implementation services specializing on theMicrosoft SharePoint Platform and FAST Enterprise Search. » Summit 7 Systems was chosen by KMWorld Magazine as one of the top 100 Companies that Matter in Knowledge Management along with companies such as Microsoft, Oracle and IBM. » Summit 7 Systems was named to the 2011 and 2012 CRN Next-Gen 250 List as a company bringing innovative processes, methodologies and models to the solution provider industry. » Top 1% of Microsoft Partners Worldwide » Summit 7 Systems was named #6 on the 2012 CRN Fast Growth 100 based on our 2009 – 2011 growth of over 930% per year. » ~ 50% of Technical Staff hold US Government SECRET Clearances. » Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB).
3. SOFTWARE PLATFORMS SERVICES FAST Enterprise Search SharePoint QuickStart SharePoint 2007 Information Architecture and Governance Development SharePoint 2010 Upgrade and Migration SharePoint 2013 Branding and Design (User Experience) Office Platform Web Content Management Design and Deployment Sitecore SharePoint Search Custom Workflow or Web Part DevelopmentSOLUTION AREAS InfoPath Forms and Workflows SharePoint Platform Solutions Performance Baselines and Best Practices Optimization Enterprise Search Mapping Business Process to Software Platforms Enterprise Content Management Cloud Services Design and Provisioning Internet / Web Content Management Remote Support Contracts Extranet Solutions Compliance Quickstart Intranet Solutions Business Process Management Enterprise Project Management Exchange Server
4. MARK RACKLEY / SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT • 18+ years software architecture and development experience • SharePoint Junkie since 2007 • Event Organizer • Blogger, Writer, Speaker • Bacon aficionado@mrackley http://www.sharepointhillbilly.com
5. AGENDAWhy is understanding SharePoint so hard?What is SharePoint?Why SharePoint?Tips for avoiding SharePoint PainThe importance of the SharePoint Community
6. WHY IS UNDERSTANDING SHAREPOINT SO HARD?
7. WHY IS UNDERSTANDING SO HARD?• It’s hard to know where to begin • There so much information! • Conflicting information! • SO MUCH NOISE!!
8. WHY IS UNDERSTANDING SO HARD?• It’s hard to know where to begin • There so much information! • Conflicting information! • SO MUCH NOISE!! • What’s my role??
9. WHY IS UNDERSTANDING SO HARD?• It’s hard to know where to begin • There so much information! • Conflicting information! • SO MUCH NOISE!! • What’s my role?? • Easy to fall into analysis paralysis
10. WHY IS UNDERSTANDING SO HARD?• Lots of concepts to grasp • Governance • Information Architecture • Composites • BI • Collaboration
11. WHY IS UNDERSTANDING SO HARD?No man/woman is an island in SharePoint• You can’t “do it all”• It’s easy to get it to work… incorrectly• There’s no “one size fits all”
12. WHY IS UNDERSTANDING SO HARD?You have to change the way you work• Change your email habits• Play well with others• “Do it yourself”
13. WHY IS UNDERSTANDING SO HARD?Fear of the unknown• “But that’s not the way we used to do it”• Developers perceived loss of job security
14. WHAT IS SHAREPOINT???
15. WHAT IS SHAREPOINT? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjyrSUnyaHc
17. WHAT IS SHAREPOINT?SharePoint is a platformSharePoint can be many things• It creates sites on the fly• It stores your data• It allows you to easily manage permissions• It gives you alerts and workflows
18. WHAT IS SHAREPOINT?SharePoint is many things• It Integrates with other systems• It helps you find stuff• It helps you to “do it yourself” “out of the box” • 80/20 rule
19. WHAT IS SHAREPOINT?What do you want it to be?
20. WHAT IS SHAREPOINT?Read the directions
21. WHY SHAREPOINT? SHAREPOINT?
22. TOP 10 THINGS SHAREPOINT CAN DO FOR YOU10. Unclutter your inbox9. Connect to the right people8. Find what you need7. Replace other expensive products
23. TOP 10 THINGS SHAREPOINT CAN DO FOR YOU6. Give you insight5. Remind you4. Centralize your data3. Make you more productive
24. TOP 10 THINGS SHAREPOINT CAN DO FOR YOU2. Keep you organized1. Make you look like a rock star
25. SharePoint may not be THEbest tool for any one job, but it does MANY jobs well.
26. TIPS FOR AVOIDINGSHAREPOINT PAIN
27. SharePoint is a woman…Treat her that way.
28. DON’T EXPECT THE ERROR MESSAGES TO MAKE SENSE
29. EVEN WHEN YOU’RE RIGHT, YOU MIGHT BE WRONG
30. DON’T TRY AND CONTROL HER, DO IT HER WAY
31. ACCEPT HER FOR WHO SHE IS
32. “SharePoint is a man! Youhave to beat him intosubmission!” – Lori Gowin
33. DON’T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF!There is no easy button• It IS different• It takes timeSharePoint is MASSIVE• No one understands it all• Befriend the gurusAccept that “It Depends”
34. LEARN THE CORRECT TERMINOLOGY Farm Elevated Privileges Safe Control CAML Feature Site Column STSADM Declarative Workflow Site Collection Persisted Object Application Page Content Type Site Definition List Definition Solution Package Scope Content Database Event Receiver List Instance Central Administration Publishing Page ONET Web Application List View Feature Receiver Theme Field Control Client Object Model Team Site Timer Job
35. BEWARE THE SHAREPOINT “EXPERT” Be skeptical Ask for references Learn some basic interview questions You get what you pay for
36. THE SHAREPOINT COMMUNITY
37. A WORD (OR TWO) ABOUT COMMUNITY
38. TO AVOID SHAREPOINT FAIL…
39. YOU GOTTA DRINK THE KOOL-AIDJoin the communityRead BlogsRead BooksPlay around in your siteAttend eventsBuild relationshipsDON’T BE AFRAID TO DO SOMETHING!
40. FOR MORE FROM SUMMIT 7 SYSTEMS… facebook.com/summit7systems @summit7systems summit 7 systems summit7systems summit7systems.com/blogs