We learned that writing
for advertising differs
from other types of
AD PEOPLE WRITE
Plans and Proposals
Print ads (newspapers/magazines)
Brochures and Newsletters
Outdoor and point-of-purchase
Scripts (radio, television, Web)
Internet SEO content and ad copy
GOOD WRITING REQUIRES . . .
A clear message.
An attention getting headline/lead.
Unity – Only one major idea.
Coherency - Easy to follow organization and argument
Development – specific examples, details, etc.
Clear, concise, simple sentences.
Appropriate word choice.
THE PROCESS OF GOOD WRITING.
• PREWRITE - RESEARCH
• FIND YOUR MAJOR MESSAGE
• ORGANIZE (outline, put like things
together, use parallel construction, find the
best pattern )
• WRITE (just get it all down)
• PROOF-READ (get help)
• FORMAT and FINALIZE
WE LEARNED THAT
RESEARCH IS IMPORTANT.
• All advertising messages and campaigns
are based on research.
• The better the research, the more
effective the communication.
• Research defines target
audiences, visual dynamics,
media, and success.
WE LEARNED TO TARGET
• All advertising messages are designed for
specific target audiences.
• Messages are framed in the language of the
audience. (word choice, metaphors, etc.)
• Messages are in the context of the audience
in regards to examples, illustrations, etc.
• Demographics and psychographics help
define the characteristics of audiences.
We learned a lot about
relationship abuse and date rape.
• Data and statistics
• What a healthy relationship is and is not
• The importance of consent
• How to stay safer when going out
• How to support people who have been
• Intervention and how to look after each other
• Where to get help
And YOU this semester, have become
a better person and advertising writer
by practicing your writing skills
by getting rid of wordiness and being concise
by learning to analyze ads
by recognizing the importance of research
by working with others on a creative team
by assessing design elements
by creating business cards, brochures, flyers, and
• by learning about relationship abuse and date rape
• by just being in this class
Just when the caterpillar thought the
world (class) was over, it became a
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.