1. 1960’s AmericaThe world of The Outsiders
2. General SettingThe Outsiders presumably takes place in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where S.E. Hinton grew up.We mostly see the east side of the city, from the perspective of the Greasers.
3. FashionDuring the time periodof the novel, Soc“types” would wearmadras shirts andkhakis. You can seean example of typicalclothing below. Madras Shirts James Dean embodied the cultivated Greaser image. Leather jacket, jeans, white t-shirt and boots were typical of Hair Grease boys who emulated the free and uncontrolled lifestyle Dean seemed to live.
4. Music and Film Here are some images of popular artists and movies.Elvis Presley The Beatles Beach movies Paul Newman The Beach Boys
5. Drive-insWatchingmovies at thedrive-in theatrewas a popularthing to do,especially forteenagers.The car culturewas a big partof society.You’ll noticethat cars areoften mentionedin the novel.
6. CarsHere are two cars and agas station that arementioned in the novel. Chevy Corvair 1965 Ford Mustang DX Gas Station
7. Drive-in RestaurantsThese restaurants were a typical place to take a date. They werealso where gangs hung out.
8. The American DreamHappiness for the characters of The Outsiders was a girl, acar, some money, a strong group of friends, and probably anice-cold bottle of soda.How much has changed?
9. Now we will look at few more images of the 1960sculture while listening to some music of the decade.Your assignment tonight will be to bring in a pictureand song reminiscent of the time period. QuickTime™ and a Video decompressor are needed to see this picture.