1. 100 Google+ tips from Jonathan Pollinger of
Updated: 8 May 2014
If you like a tip below please copy and share on Google+ followed by ‘via +Jonathan Pollinger’
or copy and tweet followed by ‘via @intranetfuture’. Thank you!
For more help with Google+ you can book some call time with me – 15 minutes to 1 hour.
1. Google+ is great for your improving your website search ranking. Get involved!
2. Google+ is not Twitter. Make use of the unlimited space you have to post. #GooglePlustip
3. A profile and a cover photo can be displayed at top of your Profile/Page. Use to create the
right impression. #GooglePlustip
4. Google+ has a video conference/messaging system - use Hangouts to communicate with
clients and to collaborate with colleagues. #GooglePlustip
5. You can broadcast live video and record using Hangouts on Air. Great for training, product
launches and announcements. #GooglePlustip
6. Use bitly on your Google+ posts to shorten links and to measure click throughs.
7. To learn how you can benefit from Google+ book a call with me using Clarity.
8. To mention a Google+ Profile or Page put + in front of account name eg +John Smith. It’s
the equivalent of @ on Twitter. #Googleplustip
9. Just like Twitter, Google+ supports hashtags so create and use them – especially to
promote your events. #GooglePlustip
10. Google+ has a great Events function. Use to raise awareness of your event and to group
all attendees photos. #GooglePlustip
11. You can ‘direct message’ on Google+. Simply share with a single named person who is
also on Google+. #GooglePlustip
12. Share your posts and photos even if intended recipients are not on Google+. Add email
addresses in Share field. #GooglePlustip
13. To create a Google+ Page for business go to https://plus.google.com/pages/create.
14. Ask questions and poll your audience to find out what content they're interested in.
2. 100 Google+ tips from Jonathan Pollinger of
Updated: 8 May 2014
15. Use the ‘Share this page’ icon to tell people in your Profile Circles about your and others’
16. Comment on other people’s posts to engage and raise your profile. #GooglePlustip
17. You can use hashtags in Comments as well as on Posts. #GooglePlustip
18. Use ‘What’s hot’ to discover relevant and interesting new content. #GooglePlustip
19. Join Communities related to your business sector for networking. #GooglePlustip
20. Watch your spelling and grammar. #GooglePlustip
21. Put words in asterisks to make them *bold*. #GooglePlustip
22. Put underscores either side of a word to make it _italic_. #GooglePlustip
23. If you make a mistake you can edit your post after sharing. Hover over top right of post
title then select Edit. #GooglePlustip
24. To change order in your drop down list when adding, re-order your Circles by dragging
and dropping. #GooglePlustip
25. Decide the purpose of your Google+ page/profile and create a content plan.
26. Use Google+ to blog. Unlike Twitter you’re not limited to 140 characters. #GooglePlustip
27. You can display or remove the Hangouts (Chat) window by selecting icon on top right.
28. You can increase and decrease the size of Circles via Actions on the Your Circles tab.
29. Respond promptly to all +mentions and comments on your posts. #GooglePlustip
30. Know your audience and segment them into Circles as appropriate. eg suppliers,
advisors, clients and so on. #GooglePlustip
31. Delete a member of a circle by pointing to their image in the circle, clicking and dragging
them out. #GooglePlustip
32. To view all posts from a Circle right click on a circle and select “View stream for this
33. On the Your Circles tab you can add people via email addresses using ‘Add a person’.
34. You can download some or all of your data from Google+. Click the down arrow to the
right of your profile pic then Account/Data tools/Download Data. #GooglePlustip
3. 100 Google+ tips from Jonathan Pollinger of
Updated: 8 May 2014
35. It’s easy to upload photos and videos onto Google+ and they look great so take
pictures/shoot video and upload. #GooglePlustip
36. You can add photos and videos to Google+ just by dragging and dropping them into the
share box. #GooglePlustip
37. To enable instant upload of photos for easier sharing. On your Google+ phone app go to
Settings/Auto Backup. #GooglePlustip
38. You can automatically upload all your photos to Google+ as you take them from your
Android phone. #GooglePlustip
39. Decide whether to upload compressed or full size photos. #GooglePlustip
40. Include titles and descriptions for your photos on Google+ to help SEO. #GooglePlustip
41. Whether you’re setting up a Profile or a Page it’s important to complete all your details.
42. All fields on your Google+ Profile and Page support hyperlinks so include appropriate
43. Remember that Profiles and for people and Pages are for companies – just like Facebook.
44. You only need 1 password for all your Google tools make sure you use a strong unique
password containing CAPS + numbers. #GooglePlustip
45. Put a Google+ icon on your website to make it easy for people to visit your Page.
46. Set up Google+ Authorship for good SEO. If you use WordPress try the Yoast plugin.
47. Add +1 buttons to website articles, photos and products to make it easy for visitors to
share your content. #GooglePlustip
48. As you might expect the Search on Google+ is top notch. Use it to find people, companies
and content to follow and engage with. #GooglePlustip
49. You can find out the total number of views your Profile/Page, Posts and Photos have
received to the right of the number of your Followers. #GooglePlustip
50. If you use Hangouts and Chrome install the Hangouts extension for quick access to
51. Your website will rank higher on Google Search results for your followers, so grow your
4. 100 Google+ tips from Jonathan Pollinger of
Updated: 8 May 2014
52. If mentioning a person, business or brand, tag them by using the + symbol followed by
their Profile or Page name. #GooglePlustip
53. Make people aware of your Google+ presence on your other social networking sites.
54. Add the +1 button to your blog posts so readers can easily recommend and share your
content. Eg: http://intranetfuture.com/blog/ #GooglePlustip
55. "Websites that use Google’s +1 button generated 3.5 times more traffic from Google+ than
websites that don’t have the button installed" via @hubspot. #GooglePlustip
56. In your Introduction, put a list of suggested Circles for people to add you to. Thanks to Jeff
Korhan for this one. #GooglePlustip
57. If people add your Page to their Circles, make sure you add them back on your Page so
you can target your communications. #GooglePlustip
58. Use Circles to share photos as well as text updates with your contacts, friends and family.
59. Publish your Press Releases on Google+. #GooglePlustip
60. Ensure your posts are always positive. No one likes a moaner. #GooglePlustip
61. Engage with others by commenting and adding +1s to their posts. #GooglePlustip
62. Don’t plagiarise other’s content as your own. Always give an author credit. #GooglePlustip
63. Link to a job vacancy or your jobs vacancy page to increase your chances of finding a new
64. Take the time to read other people's posts and learn how they use Google+.
65. Join Communities. That’s where the action is. #GooglePlustip
66. Unlike Facebook Google+ is an open platform ie it’s not just about existing friends, so
make new friends, connections and contacts. #GooglePlustip
67. Google+ supports hashtags so use them for events and to follow and join into
68. Above all else listen, connect and engage. #GooglePlustip
69. Use interesting preview photos in your blog posts. Readers are more likely to click the link
when you share to G+ if there’s an attractive photo. #GooglePlustip
70. Download 'Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything' by
Chris Brogan. amzn.to/y7vyi1 #GooglePlustip
5. 100 Google+ tips from Jonathan Pollinger of
Updated: 8 May 2014
71. Reply promptly to all the mentions you receive. #GooglePlustip
72. Don’t share anything on Google+ you wouldn’t shout in the street. #GooglePlustip
73. Try and post at least once every day on Google+ to show you have an active presence
and to increase awareness. #GooglePlustip
74. Be nice. Thank people for +1s, Comments and Shares. #GooglePlustip
75. Google+ is great for thought leadership, discussions, debates and opinions. Focus your
efforts around these activities. #GooglePlustip
76. Think about why you’re using Google+. Stick to your objectives. #GooglePlustip
77. Link to your blog posts but give people a reason why to read them. #GooglePlustip
78. To obtain the hyperlink of a Google+ post select the date/time of the post (date stamp).
79. Consider Google+ for Employee Communications. Create Circles for teams and
departments and use Hangouts for collaboration. #GooglePlustip
80. Sneaky tip! Create a Circle containing competitors so you can keep an eye what they are
up to. #GooglePlustip
81. Google+ has trends just like Twitter – join into popular conversations. #GooglePlustip
82. Add an additional Manager to your Google+ Page for cover in the event of sickness or
holidays. Here’s how. #GooglePlustip
83. On Google+ you can edit posts after they've been published. Just select the down arrow
on the top right of a post. #GooglePlustip
84. You can disable sharing of a post after publication on Google+. Just select the down arrow
the 'Disable reshares'. #GooglePlustip
85. You can delete a post after publication on Google+. Just select the down arrow the 'Delete
86. If you read a great post let the author know you found it useful with a +1 or a Comment.
87. Connect your Google+ Profile or Page to your YouTube channel. #GooglePlustip
88. To stop receiving updates from a post and remove it from your stream, click the down
arrow at the top of the post, then select ‘Mute post’. #GooglePlustip
89. You can Embed any public post on your website or blog. Just select the down arrow then
'Embed post'. #GooglePlustip
6. 100 Google+ tips from Jonathan Pollinger of
Updated: 8 May 2014
90. Google Places is now Google Local. As part of Google+ it’s more visible so even more
important to complete and keep up to date. #GooglePlustip
91. Google+ works great on mobile and tablet apps and you can access via
92. You’re not permitted to run contests, sweepstakes, offers, coupons or other such
promotions on your Google+ Page but you can link to them elsewhere. #GooglePlustip
93. You’ll like this one: Tap the Space bar to scroll down your Google+ Home Page.
94. Select Shift + Space bar to scroll up your Google+ Home Page. #GooglePlustip
95. Select J to jump to the top of Google+ Home Page. #GooglePlustip
96. To view +1s, Comments and Shares for a post, select Shared Publically (or similar) at top
of post. #GooglePlustip
97. Post to Google+ without leaving your Gmail inbox (and from anywhere in G+). Select
Share button on the top right. #GooglePlustip
98. To control your G+ email notifications and other settings click the your profile pic then
Account then Edit Settings under Google+ settings. #GooglePlustip
99. Use your other channels eg Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn to promote
your presence on Google+. #GooglePlustip
100. Use Google+ to ask your customers for feedback. It’s a great place to have a
Follow @intranetfuture on Twitter
Like Intranet Future Facebook Page
Connect with Jonathan Pollinger on LinkedIn
To book an online call with Jonathan go to Clarity or to arrange a
face to face consultation call +44 (0)1242 332016 or email me.