1. Singapore Maths The Emphasis on Visuals Multi-Step Problems on FractionsHarris Federation, London October 2012 Yeap Ban Har Marshall Cavendish Institute Singapore email@example.com Slides are available at www.banhar.blogspot.com
3. Howard GardnerTheory of Multiple Intelligences• Spatial• Linguistic• Logical-mathematical• Bodily-kinesthetic• Musical• Interpersonal• Intrapersonal• Naturalistic Gardner, 1983
4. Primary Mathematics (Third Edition)See Ho, S. Y. & Yeap, B. H. (2011). Development of Visualization Skills in Singapore PrimarySchool Mathematics Textbooks. Paper presented at PME-35 Angkara, Turkey.See also Yeap, B. H. (2011). The Emphasis of Primary-Level Textbooks in Singapore onHigher-Order Thinking Skills. Paper presented at International Conference on SchoolMathematics Textbooks Shanghai, China.
5. Visuals are used to teachconcepts – distributiveproperty of multiplication– without using formalterms. Primary Mathematics (Third Edition)
7. Example 1 Primary 5 Year 6 3 units = 18 1 units = 18 3 = 6 6 x 8 = 48 There were 48 coins at first.
8. Example 2 Primary 5 Year 6Mr Chen had some durians forsale. He sold 24 durians in themorning. In the afternoon, he sold2 of the remainder.7 1Then, he had of the total number of durians left. 2 My Pals Are Here! Maths Primary 5 3 units = 24 24 1 units = 24 3 = 8How many durians did Mr Chen had at first?10 units = 8 x 10 = 80At first, Mr Chen had 80 durians for sale.