Research supervision is a unique form of teaching.
We begin another season of Extend Essay supervision. Can you look back at your
experience as an EE supervisor? What success stories can you share with your
colleagues? What areas of improvement can you identify and bring up for discussion?
As EE Supervisors, our primary role is to support students on their path to independent
study. Our methods to lend support to students may vary but the main goal is to reach
the individual needs of our students. This would demand a lot of time and energy from
us. If we work together, as a team, then we share in this commitment of taking on a
personalized approach to EE supervision.
Here are some reminders:
1. Help students manage their time. Steer them towards a realistic timetable.
2. Ensure that the EE is manageable with appropriate research questions and methods.
3. Make students aware of intermediate and final deadlines.
4. Remind students to organize all the resources that they need.
5. Practice what you preach: Read. Write. Engage in thoughtful discourse. And if possible,
create content that can be published in one form or the other.