It’s time to let goof the 4Ps.They’re almostmeaningless.And where they’renot, they’reuseless.
Things have changed.Real-time Brand ManagementSo what are the new rules?
1. Digital is not niche anymore. It ismainstream. Even in India.
Here’s the current picture we see Desktop Mobile Net Net users: users: 85m 80m Indian net users: 135m Indian C&S homes: 105m Star Plus viewership: 25m ToI national circulation: 7m
Critically, Indian internet users have already crossed Cable &Satellite TV households. Soon social media users will, too. Net users 160m 150m 140m 130m SM users 120m 110m C&S hh 100m 90m 80m 70m 60m 50m 40m 30m 20m 10m 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
And here’s the picture we see for 2014 Mobile Desktop Net Net users: users: 225m 150m Indian Net users: 300m Indian C&S homes: 140m Star Plus viewership (?): 35m ToI national circulation (?):10m
Arguably, digital is the medium whereproperties have the largest reach inIndia. Larger than any TV channel orprint pub.
No TV or print property matches these digitalproperties in reach in India.Property Viewers/mth Views/mth Time/viewGoogle 105m 5 8 minFacebook 38m 10 25 minYahoo 28m 7 12 minYouTube 23m 4 18 minBlogspot 16m 3 7 minWikipedia 12m 3 9 minRediff 12m 5 14 minOrkut 11m 5 10 minIPL on TV (SEC A/B) 6m 5 24minStarPlus (SEC A/B) 5m 3 13min
2. It’s not just the users of digital that beatothers. But the usage of digital does too.
More than the rise in users the story isthe rise in usage (IMRB/IAMAI)
2 hrs 15 mins a day rivals orexceeds TV consumption.
Anybody who tells you digitalis a small and unremarkableniche or ‚a 2% medium‛ iseither blind, ignorant, sells TVor Print or all of the above.
3. Users andusage are great. But the cost – often free – is the best bit.
No TV or print property matches these digitalproperties in reach in India. Or cost.Property Viewers/mth Views/mth Time/view CPT (Rs.)Google 100m 5 8 min 0-50Facebook 38m 10 25 min 0-30Yahoo 28m 7 12 min 100YouTube 23m 4 18 min 0-125Blogspot 16m 3 7 min 0-50Wikipedia 12m 3 9 min 0Rediff 12m 5 14 min 80Orkut 11m 5 10 min 0-30IPL (SEC A/B) 6m 5 24min 150Star+ (SEC A/B) 5m 3 13min 100
If you want to reach the mass in India,conventional wisdom says you buy adson IPL on TV.A match rates 3.5% TRP. That’s 1mSEC A/B homes. Or 2.5m people. AtRs. 1 lakh per ad-secondFacebook alone delivers 6.75m (mostlySEC A/B) daily. For as little as free.
4. Social is the fastest- growing digital medium.
6. Digital lets you side-step publishers – andbecome one yourself.
Your own newspaper / TV channel with a opt-in viewership of millions.For free.
7. Competing on digital doesn’t need largebudgets. Digital helps Davids beat Goliaths.
Once a brand with a Rs. 20 cr adbudget feared another with aRs. 200 cr ad budget.
Once a brand with a Rs. 20 cr adbudget feared another with aRs. 200 cr ad budget. No longer.Media budgets don’t make a bigdifference.Now it’s a fight between people – orcreative budgets. Rs. 25k a month?Rs. 2.5l a month? Rs. 25 l a month?
Is your story worth repeating?Are you being remark-worthy?
8. Media is vacating editorial to become marketing. Marketing can now take on editorial leadership.
It’s not aboutadvertising –but your owneditorial.
It’s not about advertising – butyour own editorial.
9. Number of fans is irrelevant.Your edge rank drives relevance.Edge rank is driven by engagement.Measure engagement.
Edge rank in action: Updates can reach no one.
Getting a fan is a waste of money ifyou don’t get engagement.
A note on Facebook engagementmetrics Unprompted Engagement: E1: 1000+ Prompted Engagement: E2: 2000+ Passive Engagement: E3: 5000+
17. It’s about training people to speak likeyou do.
Find and define your voice – and tone of voice.
18. It’s not about being a generalist. Or a specialist. But about being a multi- specialty agency.
Digital is increasingly not about specialization.But about multi-specialization. Directory listing SEMSVOSMM Site/SEO ORM E-comComp. Optimi-Track sation Online Evangelist Mgt
The era of the specialist is over.Pinstorm started as a pure SEM firm 8 yrsago. Now none exist.No pure-SEO, pure-display, pure-site devfirms exist any more either.Today’s pure-social firms will disappear too.Multi-specialists will survive.
19. You need to map out an entirely new set of channels – or evangelists.