This half-day workshop covers, in plain language, what you need to know to get started producing ebooks. It’s designed as an overview that will help you understand the technical issues, the process involved and some of the specific ways you can get started.
* What’s under the hood of an ebook
* The jargon you need to know
* Options for creating ebooks – DIY or outsource
* Some of the tools to do-it-yourself, their advantages and limitations
* Formats for ebooks, their advantages and disadvantages
* Managing combined digital and print workflows
* Design and cover design tips for ebooks
The session will also include an interactive Q&A in which you’ll be able to discuss your own issues and challenges and learn directly from others.
Gerard Reid has a unique perspective and experience in book and ebook production. He is managing director of Pindar New Zealand, one of Australiasia's most experienced producers of books and other documents. Gerard has been involved with digital publications for 12 years and has a background in traditional book publishing stretching back many more years. This places him in an ideal position to understand the requirements of both traditional and digital publishers, how to maximise the value of their content assets, and how to manage the multi-format production process that today’s publishing environment demands.
Venue: Jubilee Hall, Jubilee Building, 545 Parnell Rd, Auckland.
Date: 3 September 2009
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.