Some informationabout Santiago’S lifeThe two brothers werefishermen, normally inGalilea’s sea. Wherethey were found byJesucristo. And fromthat moment Santiagowas always nearJesus.
After of the crucifixion hestarted to preach the newfaith. A spanish tradictionthink that Santiago travelledto Hispania to preach butone day the Virgin Maryappeared in Zaragoza( place where rose theBasilica of the Pilar is risen) Basilica of the Pilar.
Santiago wasbeheaded duringthe persecutionsagainst Christiansdone by the Kingof Judea, HerodesAgripa I .
Zebedee was the father of James andJohn, two disciples of Jesus. The gospelsalso suggest that he was the husband of Salome. Zebedee was a fisherman. Zebedee lived in or near Bethsaida. SALOME ZEBEDEO SANTIAGO JUAN
Salome sometimes venerated as Mary Salome, was a follower of Jesus. She is sometimes identified as the wife of Zebedee, the mother of James and John, two of the Apostles of Jesus. She is considered holy and her party is 22th october. ZEBEDEO SALOMESANTIAGO JUAN
ZEBEDEO SALOMEJames ( The Older) was a brother of SaintJohn, son of Zebedeus and Salome. With hisbrother they began to be the First Apostles ofChrist. James was one of the favorite disciplesof Christ, who witnessed the resurrection ofJairus daughter, the transfiguration on MountTabor, and the prayer in Gethsemane. Jamesand John were known as people with animpetuous nature; for this reason Jesus calledthem “The sons of thunder”. JUAN SANTIAGO
ZEBEDEO SALOME John the Apostle was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus. He was the son of Zebedee and Salome and brother of James, another of the Twelve Apostles. Christian tradition holds that he outlived the remaining apostles all of whom suffered martyrdom (except Judas Iscariot) and ultimately died of natural causesSANTIAGO at the beginning of the second century. JUAN
Patronage • In the Western Church Saint James is the patron of Spain and Portugal, and the battles of Islam, chivalric orders,and the patron of pilgrims.
• Patron of fishermen in the East, they pray to have abundant catches and happy winds. He is also the patron of pharmacists, druggists, pilgrims, workers, beggars, warriors, hatters.
• In Poland, is the patron of many churches, including Basilica of the archdiocese in Szczecin and Concathedral in Olsztyn. The most popular is the temple in Nyssa.
Relics• According to tradition, having no scientific confirmation, when the seventh century the Arabs conquered Palestine, the relics of St. James were moved from Jerusalem to Compostela in Spain, where there have been many miraculous healings. They are still in the cathedral.
• Pilgrimages to the grave of the apostle in the Middle Ages were a great manifestation of religious feelings. Thanks to this, Spain has been called "The Land Of St. James."
Iconography• In the iconography Saint James is presented as an old man of strong physique in a long tunic, or a pilgrim with a soft hat with wide brim.
• In the East, the apostle is often depicted on icons with a book or scroll. It is a middle-aged man, with dark, not very long beard. He is usually wearing robes typical of the apostles and sandals in his feet.
Besides scenes whereothers are presentamong the twelveapostles, James, ispresent on the icons ofthe Transfiguration,where he kneels or liesat the feet of Christand the resurrection ofJairus daughter.
• Often called also in Spanish - Camino de Santiago. The Pilgrim Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia in northwestern Spain. In the cathedral , according to the beliefs of pilgrims, is the body of St. Apostle James the Greater. There is one route of the pilgrimage, and the participants can reach it following one of the many trails.
• The road is marked with the shell of St. James, which is also a symbol of the pilgrims, and the yellow arrows.• Existing for over a millennium Road St. James is one of the most important routes with Jerusalem and Rome.
• According to a legend, the body of St. James was transported by boat to northern Spain, and then buried in a place where today is the city of Santiago de Compostela.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.