Recruitment - (Do it right the first time - hiring 'the best')
DO IT RIGHT FOR THEDO IT RIGHT FOR THE FIRSTFIRST TIME..TIME..
HiringHiring ‘The BEST‘The BEST’’
@UNIVERSITY OF KARACHI By Adeem S.
Recruiting : A CareerRecruiting : A Career
Driven SkillDriven Skill
• Your success as a manager isYour success as a manager is
simply the result of how goodsimply the result of how good
you are at hiring the peopleyou are at hiring the people
around you.around you.
• Finding the right people is theFinding the right people is the
single biggest challenge for yousingle biggest challenge for you
as a recruiter.as a recruiter.
Screening applicantsScreening applicants
& interviewing:& interviewing:
– ScreeningScreening - Talk to as- Talk to as
many people as possiblemany people as possible
on the telephone brieflyon the telephone briefly
to assess qualifications.to assess qualifications.
– Follow upFollow up – Do not line– Do not line
up the candidate on theup the candidate on the
first call. Make sure to digfirst call. Make sure to dig
into the pool, choose theinto the pool, choose the
best and then line up.best and then line up.
The Selection InterviewThe Selection Interview
• Must be part of your system:Must be part of your system:
1.1. Job descriptions/assignments/competencies:Job descriptions/assignments/competencies:
Relevant reporting relationshipsRelevant reporting relationships
Statement of the department’s/team’s objectivesStatement of the department’s/team’s objectives
Details of responsibilities and duties (including teamwork)Details of responsibilities and duties (including teamwork)
Specific performance expected (outcomes)Specific performance expected (outcomes)
How performance will be measuredHow performance will be measured
Expected assignmentsExpected assignments
Assigned mentorAssigned mentor
2.2. List of necessary competencies for the assignmentList of necessary competencies for the assignment
Recruiting, screening, interviewing, selection, checking references, andRecruiting, screening, interviewing, selection, checking references, and
follow-up procedures and systemsfollow-up procedures and systems
3.3. Performance coaching systemPerformance coaching system
– Have applicants fill out applicationHave applicants fill out application
forms before the interview.forms before the interview.
– Review the job description, theReview the job description, the
assignment, a list of desiredassignment, a list of desired
competencies (on your Hiringcompetencies (on your Hiring
Decision Scale), and theDecision Scale), and the
candidate’s application before youcandidate’s application before you
begin interviewing.begin interviewing.
Always take notes – have theAlways take notes – have the
questions on the Interviewing Guidequestions on the Interviewing Guide
so you don’so you don’t have to remembert have to remember
– Start easy, friendly, you’ll applyStart easy, friendly, you’ll apply
some pressure later.some pressure later.
Interview formalitiesInterview formalities
Assessing the furtive factsAssessing the furtive facts
1.1. To assess competencies and skills that fit with theTo assess competencies and skills that fit with the
job situation and assignmentjob situation and assignment
2.2. To assess personal chemistry and cultural/values fitTo assess personal chemistry and cultural/values fit
3.3. To identify past behavior as an indicator of futureTo identify past behavior as an indicator of future
4.4. To predict success in the job and with theTo predict success in the job and with the
• Objectives of a selection interview:Objectives of a selection interview:
Interviewing StrategiesInterviewing Strategies
– Don’Don’t talk too much.t talk too much.
• This is the biggest mistake that most interviewers make.This is the biggest mistake that most interviewers make.
– Put candidates at ease, be friendly.Put candidates at ease, be friendly.
– Probe for specific, detailed answers.Probe for specific, detailed answers.
• Lots of follow-up questions.Lots of follow-up questions.
– Ask situational questions.Ask situational questions.
– Concentrate on past successes and skills, not onConcentrate on past successes and skills, not on
experience or education.experience or education.
– Do not respond to negatives – keep an openDo not respond to negatives – keep an open
– Expend Organization’s Upcoming Plans and attractExpend Organization’s Upcoming Plans and attract
professional through a corporate eventprofessional through a corporate event
– From current employeesFrom current employees
• Institute a bounty system.Institute a bounty system.
– From industry contactsFrom industry contacts
– From friendsFrom friends
Best SourceBest Source
• Referrals are the best source.