2. What do we mean by Auteur?●Is the director technically competent?●Do the films show a signature style?●Do the films project a consistent worldview?
3. DisneyRemember, its notjust the name of thecompany – WaltDisney was the headof the studio until hisdeath in the late1960s.
4. Technically Competent? Did things nobody had managed before – Snow White put together over 140,000 individual drawings to tell its story. Even then, working from observation the animators studied the way a dress would move as she danced, how leaves flew in the wind, how shadows changed on different surfaces...
5. Stylistic Characteristics● Fairy tales● Anthropomorphic sidekicks● Teenagers (especially teenage girls) growing into adulthood and breaking away from their parents● Realistic animation rather than squash and stretch cartooning● Songs – Disney films are musicals
6. Messages and Values ● A clear good -v- evil view of the world ● Standing up for what you believe in ● Rewarding good behaviour (eventually) ● Childrens/Young Peoples lives are important ● Good hearted, honest innocent loyalty will wiin over scheming evil
7. Possible Disney Projects? Look at the changing representation of women in Disney films● Snow White● The Little Mermaid● Mulan
8. What Would You Do? ● Choose a focus film. ● Watch, watch and watch again, noting ideas about representations of gender ● Watch the other films and make notes ● Research Disney and Gender – research the specific films – research gender and fairy tales – research the root stories (fairy tales, myths and legends)
9. And then what would you do?● Record your findings● Evaluate your findings● See where your findings lead you next● Go back to your notes, and the films, and think again
10. What else might you look for? ● Marketing material ● Audio material – podcasts – discussions – press conferences ● AV material – as for audio. ● User generated AV ● Financial information – how much did they cost and how well did they do ● Awards
11. What will you do with this stuff?● You will use what youve learned to write a presentation script● You will refer to your research in the presentation● We will worry about exactly how to write this in the autumn.