General Physics 101 PHYS
Instructor: Dr. Said Moh’d Azar
1) Two forces, F1 and F2, act on a 5-kg mass. If F1 =20 N and F2 =15 N, find the
acceleration in (a) and (b) of the Figure.
2) A block is pushed across a horizontal surface by the force shown. If F =20 N, θ= 30º and
M = 2.0 kg, then the magnitude of the acceleration (in m/s2) of the block is:
3) Two masses of 3 kg and 5 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a smooth
pulley as shown in the Figure. Determine (a) the tension in the string, (b) the
acceleration of each mass, and (c) the distance each mass moves in the first second of
motion if they start from rest.
4) An elevator of mass 900 kg accelerates upward at 3 ms-2. What is the tension in the cable
where it is attached to the elevator?
5) A 60-kg man hangs from a light cable suspended from a helicopter. Find the tension in
the cable if the acceleration is (a) 5 ms-2 upward; (b) 5 ms-2 downward.