Meditations on the BaptismRecommendation: Please read the contents of oneof the 20 mysteries meditations before you start yourprayer. Some of these presentations (e.g. The FifthSorrowful Mystery: The Crucifixion) contains over 60slides. With so much spiritual food that it is best toread and contemplate on a few of the slides eachtime.We welcome biblical scholars, theologians,lecturers and professors of theological institutionsand seminaries and lay people around the world tocontribute precious pearls in the form of picturesand words to accompany specific scenes in theRosary in Visual Art. You can contribute through theBLOG on our website.
First luminous Mystery The Baptism in the Jordan After Jesus was baptized, he came up from the water and stood there praying; and behold, the Heaven was opened. The Holy Ghost came down upon him like a dove. And a voice came from Heaven saying “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”Spiritual fruits: Submission to God’s will. Gratitude for the gift of Faith. (St. Louis de Montfort)
1. John is baptizing in the Jordan proclaiming a baptism of repentance. The Jordan river connects to the stories of Israel’s entry into the Promised land with Joshua, & to Israel’s crisis and call for renewal by Elijah and Elisha. The river symbolized a new exodus, a new beginning.Nicolas Poussin, The Baptist baptizes the crowd. 1632. Louvre Museum. Paris
2. Behold the lamb of God. 2. Behold, “He should becomethe lamb of God. more and more and I should become less and less” Total opposite to 21st century philosophy: I am the most important, my freedom, my rights. The highest value of all values is Jesus in my life. Dieric Bouts, 1415-1475. Ecce Agnus Dei. Alte Pinakothek Munich. Germany.
3. St. John the Baptist is a challenging personality. Hechallenged people to change, and opposed powers of thisworld. He paid for the truth with his head. Freedom is not the first value. The 1st value is the Truth. Jesus said, I am the Truth. The Truth will set you free.Peter Rubens, The Feast of Herod, National Gallery of Scotland. Edinburgh.
4. He took on our sins “He allows himself to be numbered among sinners. He is already ‘the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world’. Already he is anticipating the ‘baptism’ of his bloody death.” (Cathechism) Jusepe de Rubera. 1643 Naples. Italy.
4. He took on our sins As Christ descends into the waters The innocent one became “sin” for our sake. Jesus’ baptism changed the world by rending open the heavens, allowing the Holy Spirit to descend in a powerful way.
5.*The Theophany of our Lord. When you O Lord, were baptized in the Jordan, the worship of the Trinity was made manifest. Through baptism we all enter into an awareness of this great mystery that God is three,How to pray with icons. By Miroslaw Tataryn and yet one.
When saint John had finished baptizing our Lord, the heavens opened and the Holy Ghost descended visibly in the form of a dove upon his head and the voice of his Father was heard: "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased" (Matth. 3, 17). Many of the bystanders heard this voice, namely, those who were not worthy of such a wonderful favor; they also saw the Holy Ghost descending upon the Savior. This was the most convincing proof which could ever be given of the Divinity of the Savior, as well on the part of the Father, who acknowledged Him his Son, as also in to the nature of the testimony given; for without any reserve was Christ manifested as the true God, equal to his eternal Father in substance and in perfection. The Father himself wished to be the first to testify to the Divinity of Christ in order that by virtue of his testimony all the other witnesses might be ratified. There was also another mystery in this voice of the eternal Father: it was as it were a restoration of the honor or Son before the world and a recompense for his having thus humiliated Himself by receiving the Baptism of the remission of sins, though He was entirely free from fault and never could have upon Him the guilt of sin. (Heb. 7, 26).-----Mystical City of God Mary of Agreda.
6. The Holy Spirit at our baptism“ I have baptized you with water.He will baptize you with the HolySpirit.”As the Holy Spirit descendedon Jesus at His baptism, soHe descends on us at ourbaptism and inspires us to aloving union with God, andtransforms us with Hissupernatural life. We becomenew creations.We are adopted as sons ordaughters of our HeavenlyFather. We too becomeheirs.
7. We die to our old selves Through baptism we die to our old selves and are born into Christ. To continue our journey we must renew our baptismal promise to die and rise with Christ. “Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ were baptized into his death?”–St. Paul How are we to continue to bury sin in our lives?
8. Wash at the fountain “Go and wash at the fountain! Wash yourselves at the spring of living water which flows from the pierced Heart of my son Jesus, through the sacrament of reconciliation. I want you pure in mind, heart and body.” (Gobbi)Reni Guido, Baptism of Christ, Kunsthistorisches Museum. Vienna.
9. The Holy Spirit descends on Him to invest Himwith the mission which he is to carry out. In our baptism we are anointed as Christians. This means we are followers of Christ. Just as Christ faced the cross and embraced it, we too will have suffering & crosses in our lives.Pietro Perugino, The Baptism of Christ, 1490, Musee des Beaux-Art, Rouen
10. In this heavenly manifestation is institutedthe sacrament of baptism. We pray for a deeper awareness of the adoption we received at our baptism, when we became sons & daughters of our Father in heaven. Help us in dying to sin and in living to holiness and the life of grace. Amen.Joachim Patinir, The baptism of Christ, 1515. Kunsthistorisches Museum. Vienna.
The ( National ) Rosary For the Evangelization of (Nations)1. Fatima Prayer: To Eucharistic Jesus, source of all evangelization. “O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to heaven, especially those who are in most need of thy mercy.”2. Invocation of the Holy Spirit: Principal agent of evangelization. “Come, Holy Spirit! Fill the hearts of the (National) people and enkindle in them the fire of your love! Come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well-beloved Spouse.”3. Prayer to Our Lady of ( Nation ): Star of the new evangelization. “Hail Holy Queen, Mother of (Nation), come and present the (National) people to Jesus, the fruit of thy womb. Look upon them continually with mercy and through your