What Was Prototyped
1. Persistent display of information in the
2. Display of abbreviated data set.
3. Dynamic display of information over
4.Information display responding to on-
the-fly schedule revisions.
Devices, systems, and strategies
that assist the user with memory,
Who does this affect?
• The number of people age 65 and older is expected to grow from 39 million in 2008
to 72 million in 2030, and the number of people with AD doubles for every 5-year
interval beyond age 65.
• Developmentally Disabled
• 800,000 children and adults in the United States are living with one or more of the
symptoms of cerebral palsy.
• Cognitive impairment is present in two thirds of patients with cerebral palsy.
• Those with Traumatic Brain Injuries
• Veterans, Automobile Crash Survivors, etc
1. American Family Physician, January 2006, www.aafp.org
2. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, www.ninds.nih.gov
3. National Institute on Aging, www.nia.nih.gov
How can pervasive
cognitively impaired users
Interface to assist people
the procedural tasks
involved in their
activities of daily living
“Cognitive Orthosis for Assisting aCtivities in the Home”
Prompting device for guiding user through hand washing.
Uses video tracking of the hands to determine which steps
of the task have been completed. Provides audio prompts to
keep the user on track.
A lab-based replication of a real kitchen where careful
design has hidden the additional technology, and allows both
the evaluation of pervasive computing prototypes and the
simultaneous capture of the multiple synchronized streams
of sensor data.
Drawing applications record
traces of a user’s movements
Things to Consider
• Depth is occluded.
• Will surface allow sufficient shadow for
• Projector inside of cabinet precludes
• Surface requires structural support,
translucency, and food-grade material.
• Cost could prohibit domestic use.
• Reaching out to Neuropsychologist
• Attended ASSETS 2010
• Met Prof. Jesse Hoey (COACH,
• Looking for an elder care facility with
which to volunteer.
Grounding in field
How will field testing and
evaluation be conducted?