Historical Places of Bangladesh
The Shaheed Minar is a national monument in Dhaka, Bangladesh, established to commemorate those killed
during the Language Movement demonstrations of 1952.On February 21, 1952, dozens of students and political
activists were killed when the Pakistani police force opened fire on Bengali protesters who were demanding equal
status to their native tongue, Bangla. The massacre occurred near Dhaka Medical College and Ramna Park in
Dhaka. A makeshift monument was erected on February 23 by students of University of Dhaka and other
educational institutions, but soon demolished on February 26 by the Pakistani police force.The Language
Movement gained momentum and after a long struggle, Bangla was given equal status as Urdu. To commemorate
the dead, the Shaheed Minar was designed and built by Hamidur Rahman, a Bangladeshi sculptor. The monument
stood until the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971, when it was demolished completely during Operation
Searchlight. After Bangladesh gained independence, it was rebuilt .Today, the Shaheed Minar is the centre of
cultural activities in Dhaka. Every year, the Language Movement is remembered at the monument .
Tajhat is a historical place of Bangladesh, located near Lalbagh, Rangpur. It has a
nice Jamidarbari(Palace) which in 2005 was turned into a museum. This museum is about 10 mins
drive from Rangpur town, near Lalbagh. The Museum was inaugurated on March 20, 2005, by the
Government of Bangladesh Minister for Cultural Affairs, Begum Selima Rahman and Secretary Mr.
Mahmudul Masud. Dr. Alain Labrique of the Johns Hopkins University also made some invited
The palace in Tajhat, commonly known as Tajhat Rajbari was built by Maharaja Kumar Gopal Lal
Roy in the beginning of the 20th century. He was a descendent of a Hindu khatari who emigrated
from Punjab. He was a jeweler by profession. It is believed that from the conspicuous appearance of
his Taj or jeweledcrown his estate derived the name of Tajhat. From the name of his estate, the area
is known as Tajhat.
Ahsan Manzil was the official residential palace and seat of theDhaka Nawab
Family. It is situated on the banks of the Buriganga River in Bangladesh.
The palace is now a museum.
Lalbagh Fort (also known as "Fort Aurangabad") is an incomplete Mughalpalace
fortress at the Buriganga River in the southwestern part of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Construction was commenced in 1678 by Prince Muhammad Azam during his
15-month long vice-royalty ofBengal, but before the work could complete, he
was recalled by Aurangzeb. His successor, Shaista Khan, did not complete the
work, though he stayed in Dhaka up to 1688. His daughter bibi pari (Lady Fairy)
died here in 1684 and this led him to consider the fort to be ominous.
The National Memorial at Savar is a symbol of the nation's respect for the
martyrs of the war of Liberation. It is built with Concrete, but made of blood. IT
stands 150 feet tall, but every martyr it stands for stands so much taller. It is an
achievement the dimensions of which can be measured but it stands for an
achievement which is immeasurable. It stands upright for the millions of martyrs
who laid their lives so that we may stand upright, in honour and dignity, amongst
the nations of the world. Most prominently visible is the 150 feet tower that
stands on a base measuring 130 feet wide.
The National Museum was established at dhaka in AD 1913.It
has been renamed as the National Museum and was shifted to
its new building at Shahbag in 1983. It is a four storied building
and has forty galleries under four departments, namely, Natural
History, History and Classical Art, Ethnography and Decorative
Art and Contemporary Art and world Civilization.
It is one of the most majestic public buildings in Bangladesh. The National Parliament complex is located
at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar of Dhaka city. The National Parliament Building is an architectural masterpiece
for which the nation can be said to be justifiably proud.The decision to construct the National
Parliament Complex at Dhaka was originally taken in 1959. Louis I Kahn. one of the greatest architects of
the time was initially selected for designing the complex. which would include the National Parliament
Building. Hostels for members of parliament. ministers and secretaries. hospitality halls and communally
buildings.All linked by roads and walkways and surrounded by attractive gardens and lakes. The main
characteristic of the building is its monumentally.The mass of concrete lined with marble strips, the
outer wall punctuate by pure geometrical openings and the dominating circular and rectangular
concrete masses impart a supreme monumentality to the building quite suited to its noble function.
Among the many surviving monuments of the Khan Jahan Ali style, undoubtedly the most magnificent
and largest brick mosque in Bangladesh is the Shait Gombuj. It is situated in Bagerhat district. For
outstanding architectural value. the World Heritage Committee of UNESCO inscribed Bagerhat in the
World Heritage list and it got the status of the second World Heritage site in Bangladesh after Paharpur.
Out of today's surviving mosques, the Shait Gombuj Mosque is the most magnificent and certainly the
largest brick mosque surviving in Bangladesh. Its name, meaning '60 domes', is misleading as in reality, it
is roofed over with 77 small domes supported by a forest of slender columns covering a large prayer hall
and giving it the appearance of a medieval church crypt. At sunrise when the rays of the sun penetrate
the eastern entrances, the interior comes to life. There is little adornment to this building other than the
carved stone decoration to the central mihrab at the western end of the prayer hall. The exterior facades,
with slightly 'battered' walls, have discernible curving cornices a concession to the local style.
One of the most graceful monuments of the Sultanate period is the Chhota
Sona Masjid or Small Golden Mosque at Gaur in Rajshahi. Built by one Wali
Muhammad during the reign of Sultan Alauddin Husain Shah (1493-1519), it
was originally roofed over with 15 gilded domes including the 3 ChauchaIqa
domes in the middle row, from which it derives its curious name.
It is called the Seat of Lost Dynasties. About 8 km to the west of Comilla town, situated 114
km southeast of Dhaka, lies a range of low hills known as the Mainamati-Lalmai ridge, which
was an extensive centre of Buddhist culture. On the slopes or these hills lie scattered a
treasure of information about the early Buddhist civilization (7th-12th Century AD.). At Salban
in the middle or the ridge, excavations have laid bare a large Buddhist Vihara (monastery)
with an imposing central shrine. It has revealed valuable information about the rule of the
Chandra and Deva dynasties which Flourished here from the 7th to the 12th century AD. The
whole range of hillocks runs for about 18 km and is studded with more than 50 sites. A site
museum houses the archaeological finds which include terra cotta plaques, bronze statues
and caskets, coins, jewellery, utensils, pottery and votive stupas embossed with Buddhist
It is the National Mosque of Bangladesh. Its construction began on 1960, and has been going on
in phases. Architect T Abdul Hussain Thariani was commissioned to design the mosque complex.
The plan included shops, offices, libraries and parking areas within the complex. The design of
the mosque reflects the architecture of the period as can be seen from the use of a white and
almost cube-form for the main building. A Mosque without a dome over the roof of its main
prayer hall must have been a unique experiment. The main building is eight storied and 33
meters high from the ground level. The area of the main prayer hall is 2464 SQ meters with a
mezzanine floor of 171 SQ metres at the eastern side. Verandas surround the hall on three of its
four sides. The mihrab of the hall is rectangular instead of semi-circular. The Baitul Mukarram
mosque is modern in its architectural style. It has found its place in the hearts of the Muslims
because of the resemblance of its form to the Holy Kaaba at Makkah.
the National Mosque
Sonargaon's importance in the pre-Muslim period is borne out by its ancient name
of Suvarnagrama (the golden village), from which it is obvious how the Muslim version of
the name is derived,as well as by the existence of Langalbandh and Panchamighat, the two
traditional under Ghiyasuddin Bahadur Shah, and after his fall it was the headquarters of
the eastern province of Bengal under the Tughlaqs till 1338. Sonargaon emerged as the
capital of an independent Sultanate under Fakhruddin Mubarak Shah (1338-1349). In the
late nineteenth and early twentieth century Panam Nagar was developed in a part of holy
bathing places of the Hindus, in this tract of land on the west bank of the old
Brahmaputra.Sonargaon rose to be the seat of an independent ruler medieval Sonargaon.
Star mosque, a 19th century establishment, is a very beautiful mosque of the city
situated at Armanitola, in the old part of Dhaka City. In faultless Mughal style
architecture, it is a five -dome mosque with hundreds of big and small twinkling
stars as surface decorations. The stars have been created by setting pieces or
chinaware on white cement. Seen from the front and from far it looks as if it were
shining above the surface of the earth. The inside or the mosque is even more
beautiful than the outside, with a lovely mosaic floor and excellent tiles with many
floral patterns set on the walls, all in complete harmony.
Paharpur is treated as the Largest Buddhist Seat of Learning of South Asia. It is a small
village, 5 km west of Jamalganj in the greater Rajshahi district, where the remains of
the most important and the largest known monastery south of the Himalayas has been
excavated. This 7th century AD archaeological find covers an area of approximately 11
hectare. The entire establishment, occupying a Quadrangular court, measures more
than 300 meters and varies from 3.5 to 4.5 meters in height with an elaborate gateway
complex on the north, there are 45 cells on the north and 44 in each of the other three
sides, with a total number of 177 rooms.
Husaini Dalan a Shiite shrine in the old part of the city of DHAKA, attributed to the Mughal
Period. It is a common practice among the Shia community to build edifices to commemorate
the martyrdom of al-Husain, at the battle of Karbala in Iraq on the tenth day of Muharram 61 AH
(10 October 680 AD). The building seems to have been originally erected by one Sayyid Murad
during the governorship of SHAH SHUJA, who, although himself a Sunni, was eager to preserve
and patronise Shiite institutions. Traditions relate that Sayyid Murad, having seen al-Husain in a
vision erecting a tazia khana (house of mourning), was inspired to raise the building, which he
named Husaini Dalan. The original building may have been a small structure, expanded to its
present form in later times. The EAST INDIA COMPANY repaired it in 1807 and 1810, and a
portion of the building was reconstructed after the earthquake of 1897.
Inside a green picturesque surrounding of Jahangir Nagar University, the
sprawling acres of land holds this beautiful monument dedicated to the
language martyrs of 1952.
Central Shahid Minar
in Jahangir Nagar University
It is considered the oldest archaeological site of the county. It is located at a distance of 18
km north or Bogra town on the western bank of the Karatoa river. The spectacular site is an
imposing landmark in the area. having a long fortified enclosure. Beyond the fortified area,
other ancient ruins fan out within a semicircle of about 8 km radius. Several isolated
mounds, the local names of which are Govinda Bhita Temple, Khodia
Pathar Mound, Mankalir Kunda, Parsuramer Bedi, Jiyat Kunda etc. surround the fortified
city. This 3rd century B.C. archaeological site is still held to be of great sanctity by the
Hindus. Every year (mid-April) and once every 12 years (in December) thousands of Hindu
devotees join the bathing ceremony on the bank of the Karatoa river.
Second World War warrior’s graveyards are in this Cemetery. There are 755 graves in
this graveyard of the great warriors who died d in world war from1939 to 1945 in
Chittagong areas. In this well-preserved cemetery at a quiet and picturesque place
within the city lie buried in eternal peace over 700 soldiers from British, Australia,
Canada, New Zealand, India, Myanmar, East and West Africa, The Netherlands and
Japan who laid down their lives on the Myanmar front during the World War II. Every
year a number of tourists come here to visit this Cemetery.
World War 2 Cemetery
This church dates from 1781 and it is still functioning today. Compared to some of the splendid
churches elsewhere in the world, this is a rather small, but interesting building crowding on a narrow
back street of old Dhaka. But in the Dhaka context it is a very important tranquil haven in the heart of
a huge crowded Muslim city.
The church supports a small Christian community from several countries that meets every Sunday
evening. The Armenians were once at the heart of Bengal’s jute and leather trade but the community
has virtually vanished. For much of the rest of the week the door to the compound is looked but there
is always someone inside because the caretaker, his family and others live on site. You just need to
wait or bang loudly on the door and someone will come to let you in.
A slightly later date the elegant 6-domed mosque (13m x 11m) sq meters of Baba
Adam in Rampal near Dhaka was erected by your Malik Kafur during the reign of the
last Ilyas Shahi Sultan, Jalauddin Fateh Shah in 1483 AD. It displays the same
characteristic features of the period such as the faceted octagonal turrets at 4 corners,
the curved cornice. The one facade and 3 mihrabs relieved richly with beautiful
terracotta floral and hanging patterns.
Mosque Baba Adam