Toward a new multi-partner Indonesian
Institutions and better
Dr Colin Duffield
Involvement in projects and Indonesia
Global infrastructure outcomes
Model of successes and reality
Best practice thinking – the depth of the business proposition
6. Concluding remarks
We seek to answer the following high level questions:
1. Can an independent infrastructure institute assist in overcoming Indonesia’s
2. Is now the time to establish such an institute?
3. What tasks would such an institute undertaken and what authority would it
What sort of infrastructure are we
Planning and land use plans, including
- Energy grid
- Choice of strategic infrastructure
technology, e.g. telecommunications
Characterised as complex and requires
integration with other services.
Best optimised by responsible
Departments and delivery Agencies
Involvement from all
key stakeholders to
identify and optimise
Value for money
investment in a
Company initiated –
typically focused only
at project level
outcomes due to IP
Control – Centralised Central Agency –
China from specialists
(e.g. decrees, policy,
Conceptual models for infrastructure planning
A reference/advisory group provides technical and
other advice to the project team as required.
“The Quality Team”
Members of the reference/advisory group have
specific expertise that may not be required on a fulltime basis and is called on as needed.
• Management of quality plan
• Setting the quality standards
• Audit of the deliverables as required
Appraisal and Evaluation in Central Government (UK)
• The purpose of the UK Treasury Green Book is to ensure that no
policy, programme or project is adopted
• without first having the answer to these questions:
• ❑ Are there better ways to achieve this objective?
• ❑ Are there better uses for these resources?
Infrastructure Australia advises governments, investors and infrastructure
owners on a wide range of issues. These include:
• Australia's current and future infrastructure needs mechanisms for financing
infrastructure investments, and policy, pricing and regulation and their
impacts on investment and on the efficiency of the delivery, operation and
use of national infrastructure networks.
• Infrastructure Australia's focus is on assisting Australian governments to
develop a strategic blueprint for unlocking infrastructure bottlenecks and to
modernise the nation's economic infrastructure.
• Infrastructure Australia reports regularly to the Council of Australian
Governments through the Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport.
A business case provides the necessary support on which to make decisions for the
approval and or funding (p17 IEPG). The decisions need to be informed by:
The government policy and priority context in which the investment proposal is
the financial and socio-economic impacts of the proposal on the State;
the degree of confidence that the Government can have in the proposal being
successfully implemented to achieve its objectives within the stated budget,
timeline, management structure, financial agreements etc; and
the relative “value for money” that the proposal has against other proposals being
made to Government.
Adaption of systems thinking – relates to authority
Thoughts on best practice
• No one system is used universally
• Independent input and critique is a common thread
• Whole of life thinking is important and this is consistently
outworked via comprehensive strategic thinking that is developed
through a ‘business case’
• The style of system – eg master plan, strategic direction, market
lead, informs the authority and reporting arrangements for