The “work force” is a huge part of your life
People in the work force range from 16 years
old until you die, so it is a big part of your life
People work to pay for the basic necessities
You will spend 30-40 years of your life
Most people will spend a significant time
amount of time preparing to enter the work
You want to go through many steps in order to pick a
career you should:
1. explore the different career categories to learn what
2. Determine each job available within each career
3. Find out how much education, training, and special
skills are required for each category
4. Estimate how much money can be earned in each
career over a lifetime
Remember careers aren’t just about whether you like it or
not your lifestyle needs to match the career
You should always make career goals before you
pick a career
The definition of a career goal is the unique and
personal goals an individual wishes to accomplish
as a result of working
If you do not make career goals before picking a
career it can make reaching your goals very
difficult or even impossible
When picking a career you want to know what
your skill set is
A skill set is the total set of skills and work
attributes an individual possess.
There are 4 different types of career paths
1. Spiral: moves to another job at the same level within
their career category when they have developed a
high level of competence at their existing job.
2. Linear: accepts job with increasing responsibility and
authority in their career category.
3. Transitory: Regularly moves from their existing job
to a total unrelated job within a different category
4. Expert: Specializes in one job during their entire
Each person’s career category is different, and
anybody can change theirs
Jobs are hard work, but you need one to be
successful. A big part of the job process is the
1. Basic job concepts
2. Understand what a career is
3. Developed your career goals
4. Selected a career category
5. Explored different careers
You need to take these 5 steps before applying
for a job
There is a lot of information in a resume, but
information that must be on it is:
1. Personal and Contact information
2. Summary of your education
3. Summary of your skills and training
4. Work history
1. What is your greatest weakness?
2. What is your greatest strength?
3. Do you take work home with you?
4. How many hours do you normally work?
5. What are you passionate about?
1. What motivates you?
2. What are your salary expectations?
3. What are your pet peeves
4. Do you prefer to work independently or on a
5. What do people most often criticize about
Little or no jewelry
Portfolio or briefcase
Light make-up or perfume
Portfolio or briefcase
The importance of a resume is simple
A resume is used to apply for a job. It gives you
potential employer all he needs to know about
A cover letter is a sheet in front of a resume that
gives additional information about you
A cover letter is used to give extra information
without making the resume look to long
A follow up letter is sent after a meeting a with a
potential employer to thank them for the
opportunity and to keep your name in their