Past Eruption’s in this Area
• The first eruption of Mount Rainier
was half a million years ago. Mount
Rainier is a very tall mountain,
because of this there are glaciers
that form on it.
• The last eruption was in the 1840’s.
• Unlike the Hawaiian Volcanoes,
Mount Rainier explodes much less
times, but when they do blow they
are way worse than the Hawaiian
• Mount Rainier usually blows up
every 100 years.
Things that Happen when Rainier Erupts
• Projectiles out of the top (as in lava and rock)
• Pyroclastic flow
• Volcanic gasses
• Flooding from melted glacier
The 1840’s Eruption of Mount Rainier
• This eruption sent a lot of hot lava and debris
fly out of his top. It melted the snow and ice
on the volcano and caused mud slides.
• These mud slides went down the rivers and
caused a lot of damages to homes near the
bottom of the volcano.
Conditions of the Volcano and
Population Around it
• Mount Rainier is an active volcano but it has been showing no signs that it
is going to erupt any time soon.
• If/when Mount Rainier erupts they think it is going to be one of the worst
eruptions in history. They think this because there are many big cities
around Mount Rainier.
Populations of Cities around Mount Rainier.
Ohanapecosh- Not very many people. Only around 100
Ashford- 450-500 people
Greenwater- 650-675 people.
Threat of Volcanoes of cities by Mt.
• There is not a lot of risk of people dying because
there isn’t really very many people. If the
mudslides and land slides are bad they may get
into the bigger cities and cause a lot of damage.
• I think that Mount Rainier will explode around
2,025-2,040 because that will be a around 200
years which it will have built up higher and
then explode. I think it will be one of the
biggest damage volcano in U.S. history.