THE WEB, WITHOUT SERVERS
Stephan Tual, CCO
• What happens when you use a centralised service?
• Where else does this apply to us as users? As developers?
• Centralised models are single point of failures that you have to
put your trust into.
“The Web’s future relies on individuals owning their data” - Tim Berners-Lee
WHAT IS ETHEREUM?
• An 100% open source platform to build and distribute
• No middle men
• Social sites, Financial systems, Voting mechanisms, Games,
• 100% peer to peer, censorship-proof
• All nodes validate the network at all times, coming into
• Users stay in control of their funds and information at all times
== THE WEB, WITHOUT THE SERVERS
HOW DO I BUILD ON ETHEREUM?
• Consensus at scale a
notoriously hard problem to
• Ethereum makes it trivial to build
on top of such a platform
• Ethereum raised USD 18m and
plans to release in q1 of next
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Blockchain technology where trust is achieved on a open network
Contracts as your applications backends, maintained by the network
Zero infrastructure and impervious to denial of service attacks
BYE BYE MIDDLEMEN, YOU HAD YOUR FUN 1/2
• No more eBay outrageous fees
• On a p2p system you have to bring true to
• Examples of Airlock the decentralised airbnb
and many more
• Applicable to digital art, any smart property
• IBM Adept IoT validation
BYE BYE MIDDLEMEN, YOU HAD YOUR FUN 2/2
Contracts the perfect ledger to issue tokens of value
Kickstarter offers you T-shirts, such an app on Ethereum would give you shares
Distributed computing (BOINC, folding at home)
Measurement of clean energy production
Rewards for actions in the physical world
MIST, THE ETHEREUM BROWSER
Global pseudonymous single sign on
THE STORY SO FAR
- Started November 2013
- 3 open source reference clients in C++, Go, Python
in proof of concept 7 stage
- Many more community clients in the works:
node.js , java, clojure, objectiveC
- 81 meetups group worldwide, 6k members
- 100k uniques on our site/month
- 10k followers on twitter
Anyone can bootstrap a business through a kickstarter on steroids
Universal access to financial instruments
Reputation as a collateral
New paradigm of autonomous app components you can leverage
which vertical will be disrupted first?
p resented by @st ephantual
IRC: #ethereum (freenode)