Marketing & Synergy
By the end of today’s lesson you will all:
• Better understand the process of
• Be able to explain VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL
INTEGRATION and how DISTRIBUTION fits
into the model
• Understand and be able to exemplify
SYNERGY in action
This Week’s Reading – Exhibition
What can you extract?
Six Hats Questions for you:
• White – What factual information is presented in
• Red – How do you feel about the debates
• Yellow – What benefits are presented? Who
• Black – What disadvantages are presented?
• Green – What are the alternatives?
• Blue – What have you understood about
exhibition? Can you summarise the debates?
• What is vertical integration? Draw a diagram and
What do you understand by Horizontal Integration?
• The consolidation of holdings across multiple
industries. The idea of owning many media
outlets, which run almost the same content
designed to increase the “synergy’ between the
different divisions of the same company. Studios
seek content that can move fluidly across media
channels (music, gaming, film, publishing, TV
broadcasting, merchandising, parks).
Q What are the advantages and disadvantages of
this model for audiences and institutions?
Distribution – A definition
‘The Piggy in the Middle’
• Film distribution is the process whereby completed films are brought to life and
connected with an audience. A film distributor is a company responsible for
releasing films to the public either theatrically (at the cinema) or for home
viewing (DVD, Video-On-Demand, online download, TV broadcasting etc.).
Distribution can be divided into 3 main stages - licensing, marketing and logistics
and these form the of the VERTICAL axis.
• Distribution involves
• organising for the film to receive an age certificate by regulation bodies, such as
the BBFC and MPAA
• arranging exhibition outlets globally and DVD/Television rights
• arranging for prints of the film to be distributed
• marketing, publicity and promotion (product placement/tie-ins/merchandise/spin-
offs) of the film which involves planned SYNERGY across HORIZONTAL AXIS
holdings and corporate partnerships.
IN TEAMS USING YOUR VOCABULARY LIST CREATE A VISUAL ‘VERTICAL &
HORIZONALLY INTEGRATED ‘ DISPLAY /POSTER . YOU HAVE TWENTY MINUTES.
Let’s look at
of synergy in
OVER TO YOU
Marvel Comics and Disney-Buena Vista
(who now own Marvel Comics) have
decided to release a new film on their
character Ms. Marvel (see her profile here:
Look at a range of existing comic book
could be a helpful resources, research the
different inter-linked products they have i.e.
merchandise, spin-offs, cross-promotions,
Mind map synergy potentials for the film
Ms. Marvel remember to consider the
different potential audiences you could
appeal to and how you could develop pre-
LIVE LINKS ON NOODLE :
• 1. Complete your Ms Marvel Mind-map
• 2. Follow a current release film and collect
examples of synergic corporate marketing and
PRIZES FOR THE BEST COLLECTION