1) Hi everybody, my name is Andrea Reginato, and today I'm here to present Lelylan, a project that wants to connect your house to the web and all the services it offers. In other words it wants to connect two existing words: Web and Domotics.
2) Everybody knows what the web is (maybe). Domotics, instead, is a curios, questioning term that is difficult to explain also for experts. Anyway Domotics can be described as the science that studies how to improve the way we live in our house through the control, automation and integration of all devices we have.
3) Why did Lelylan start? First. It happens by chance, as the best things. A small company named Eletech called me 3 years ago asking if I wanted to collaborate for a domotic project. My answer was "I've no experience about it, but I'm curious about, so... why not". After that experience I fell in love with Domotics.
Second. The house of the future has always been in our imagination (there are many movies, books that speaks about the house of the future) and anytime I speak about the project around, people get really interested in. It's always good to do something people dream.
Third. Our home is part of our life, and because it is part of everyday life, it is a very large market around the world.
4) But, although Domotics exists from 25 years and there are plenty of companies all over the world that works in the field why the house of the future looks so far? The answer is not only in the high prices as we usually think. There are big commercial interests (every company try to keep his market share, the market is growing up). The consequences stays in the definition of more and more standards (wikipidea lists more than ten), devices that do not communicate to each other, higher prices, higher complexity, fewer services and lot of confusion for the final customer.
5) Our solution is the web. The basic idea is to map every resource (is it a device, a location or a person) to an URL. When this mapping is done we hide the complexity and we get the functionalities. With an URL...
6) GET lelylan.com/lights/are/open
You can See for the status of your devices.
For exmaple the open lights in the house.
7) You can Control - POST lelylan.com/alarms/do/activate
You can control the status of your resources.
For example we can activate the alarm system.
8) Not only devices - GET lelylan.com/lelylan.com/temperatures/in/kitchen
You do not handle only physical devices. We can see and control all resources interacting with the house, such as people, locations or virtual devices.
For example we can see the temperature in the kitchen.
9) From the definition of a RESTful API there are at 3 main advantages.
- Averybody can create Mashups (create new services from existing services). We can connect our house with Twitter, Google Maps, Google Voice or the coolest service the web just released. All this without the need of a real domotic system.
- Everybody can create new User Interaction System. We can create solutions based on Web, on Mobile (IPhone, IPad, Android, Nokia), on Virtual Assistants, on Speech Recognition, on Augmented Reality, and on Eye Tracking. But we can go even further with Gestural Interfaces, Smart Surfaces, Neural Based Interfaces (Spatial Motion Interaction,) and much more.
- Third everybody, following some rules, can add new or existing devices. When added to Lelylan they will be able to speak to each other, doesn't matter the protocol they use
10) What does it mean? All this means more and more services for the final customer. But most important, we offer a way to reThink your house, a new way to reThink at Domotics. Lelylan gives people the chance to create their house of the future, just now!
11) What is Lelylan now? it's a dream and we'll try to make happens!.