Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Aswan dam

1,867 views

Published on

Usman Public School IV

  • Be the first to comment

Aswan dam

  1. 1. A presentation by Grade VIII-A
  2. 2. What is a Dam??• A barrier constructed to hold back water and raise its level, the resulting reservoir being used in the generation of electricity.
  3. 3. River Nile• The River Nile is about 6,670 km (4,160 miles) in length and is the longest river in Africa and in the world. Although it is generally associated with Egypt, only 22% of the Nile’s course runs through Egypt.
  4. 4. Fact-file of River NileContinent: AfricaCountry it flows Uganda, Ethiopia, Sudan, Burundi and Egyptthrough:length: Approx. 6,695 kilometersNo. of tributaries: 2Source: Burundi and Central AfricaMouth: Egypt into the Mediterranean Sea
  5. 5. Interesting Facts about the River Nile:• The Nile River is the longest river in the world.• The Nile flows into the Mediterranean Sea.• The largest source of the Nile is Lake Victoria.• The Nile has a length of about 6,695 kilometers (4,160 miles).• The Nile basin is huge and includes parts of Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, Congo (Kinshasa), Kenya.• The name Nile comes from the Greek “neilos”, which means valley.
  6. 6. Aswan Dam In 1954 the Egyptian government decided tobuild a dam at city of Aswan and eventually in1960 the project of Aswan dam was initiated. The dam was so large that 17% of thereservoir was located in Sudan and the rest ofthe 83% was in Egypt.This is the 3rd largest dam of the world.
  7. 7. Purposes/Reasons• To prevent yearly flooding in the summer.• To store water for irrigation in the winter.• It is a multi purpose dam. It is used to produce Hydro Electric Power.• To balance the flow of the river.• So the people could cruise on the river.
  8. 8. SourcesThe River Nile has two sources.The first one starts from Zaire which is known as the “White Nile”.The second river starts from Ethiopia which is known as “Blue Nile”.
  9. 9. Financial Support1. SOVEIT UNION GOVT. : Egypt was quite poor and Sudan was more poorer than Egypt, that they couldn’t finance themselves. First American (USA) decided that they would give financialsupport to Egypt, as it was a rich country but later they endedup not helping them. The Egyptians were now in trouble, sothey decided to take help from the Soviet Union Government.Soviet Union gave financial support to Egypt for theConstruction of the dam.
  10. 10. 2.EGYPTS’s INCOME:Every year 1/4th of Egypts total income was being spend onthe construction of the dam.3.SUEZ CANAL:The Suez Canal was open for free trade. It passes throughEgypt. Egypt was one of the poorer countries. It soon claimedthat they now owned or nationalized the canal, as theyrealized that by this way they could earn a large amount ofmoney. Anyone who passed through the canal had to pay fee.
  11. 11. Negative AspectsTwo of the problems resulting from theconstruction of the dam were/are :Flood water no longer reached the deltas of River Nile. So the sea water was gradually seeping into the delta killing the vegetation.There was no flood water to sweep away the snails which carried the larvae of the worms. Those worms cause serious intestinal and urinary disease in human.
  12. 12. In addition, for several years , some of the dam’s expensive HEP (hydro electro power) turbines were not used because the country did not require all the electricity generated.
  13. 13. Gamal Abdel NasserGamal Abdel Nasser Hussein was the secondPresident of Egypt from 1956 until his death.The Lake Nasser was named after Gamal AbdelNasser. Born: January 15, 1918, Alexandria Died: September 28, 1970, Cairo Presidential term: June 23, 1956 – September 28, 1970
  14. 14. Lake Nasser• Lake Nasser is a vast reservoir in the Southern Egypt and Northern Sudan and it is one of the largest man-made lakes in the world. Strictly “Lake Nasser” refers only to the much larger portion of the lake that is in the Egyptian territory (83% of the total) the lake is almost 550 km long and 35 km across at its
  15. 15. The lake was created as aresult of the Aswan damacross the waters of theNile between 1958 and1971. the lake is namedafter Gamal Abdel Nasser ,one of the leaders of theEgyptian revolution of1952.
  16. 16. YusraZakir
  17. 17. USMAN PUBLIC SCHOOL CAMPUS IV KARACHI, PAKISTAN.

×