26 sinisa rodic distributed intelligence and energy - sinisa rodic undp co bi_h
Distributed intelligence and energy
Project Manager - Energy Efficiency/Renewable Energy
UNDP CO Bosnia and Herzegovina
THE CORE PROBLEM –
3,000 Families in the most remote
rural areas lack access to power in BiH
OUR THOUGHTS –
How to find an sustainable and
THE SOLUTION TO OUR THOUGHTS –
A worldwide challenge
How to fit into UNDP procedures (SOPs)?
THE SOLUTION TO THE CORE
Have a winner!/ Scaling-up
UNDP internal impact...
INNOVATION PRIZE DRAFT POLICY!
The Core Problem
• In Bosnia and Herzegovina more than one million persons
displaced during the war have returned to reclaim their lives.
• For most of them, houses have been reconstructed and normal
living conditions restored, but still more than 3,000 families in
the most remote rural areas lack access to power.
• In most cases such an investment is not economically justified
(for Power Utilities).
• design and develop a sustainable, standalone&cost-effective solution
• off-grid renewable energy supply
• PV power of 1,25 kWh/day and 120 l/day of DHW
• be user friendly
• Investment costs not higher than € 5.000
• World-wide challenge
• Nesta – challenge service provider / administrator
• The winner will receive a $20,000 cash prize
• UNDP Bosnia and Herzegovina will pilot the winning solution
in a rural area for up to 50 returnee families
hot water capacity
average running costs
simplicity of use and replication potential
Road to the Winner
1st shorlisting – UNDP BiH
2nd shorlisting – Nesta
• Renewable Energy Kit was tested in period from August 3, 2013
until September 20, 2013
• The test confirmed that selected solution meets all criteria set
by the challenge (it is even better!).
• This system works much better than I was expecting, even though
it was not expected that laundry machine will work – it works
too. I have enough energy for the needs of my family.
• Mr. Nikola Sakan /Telefon Inzenjering - Belgrade, Serbia
• It is time consuming!
• ...it is a long path, full of small barriers, from idea to realization!
• Your biggest investment is the time and effort you have to
contribute to this process.
• ...you do not know whether you will succeed or not!!