a time …..
Time Changes …..
What is the profile of Tester in Agile?
Is it not same as requirement analysis
by testers and testability check?
When and why on the earth we should have part team
approach? Who created these partitions ?
why and when on the earth this
responsibility is vested on one team ?
Faster Feedback - All of a sudden – the word feedback has become very important Why now ?
Every one in the team is responsible for quality –
Whole Team approach ….
Help business stakeholderto write testableuser stories and
acceptance criteria –
We do not have any testers in our
Team. Everyone Tests .. BUT
So many words in Agile world that contain “Test”
LEFT SHiFT TESTING
TEST ALONG – TESTWITH DEVELOPERS
What testers in Agile projects do ?
Acceptance TEST driven
Anything that everyone in the team
(can) (should) (would) DO
Identifying Agile …..
Products of Strong Culture and Rituals - Stereotypes
Stereotype Agile Tester
• Manual Testing is bad …. 100% tests should be automated
• All testing is some sort of extension of programming activity –
anything left if at all – it is exploratory testing.
• More worried about stuff that others do than testing
• Eats cucumber Salad - Executable requirements …
• Discontinuous integration ?
• Is a good Chef - DevOps
• Someone who is very conscious of his/her T-shirt Size
So WHAT ?
If there is nothing called
Agile testing … why are we
here…. Listening to you ?
There are some beautiful ideas ….
• Dev Test Pairing
• Continuous Integration
• Agile Pyramid
• Light Documentation of Testing artifacts
• Unit Testing
• Agile Quadrant
• BDD/Gherkin Stories
• Embrace Change
• SHOW and TELL – Value of Seeing
• Open source tools repository
Anything else ….. That is good in Agile ?
Independent to Interdependent
Breaking functional Silos
What successful testers do….
• Learn technology, programming – write code, install software, create
• Practice testing (doing testing)
• Work with developers
• Learn business domains
• Talk to customers, prod support
• Read requirement documents
• Support activities for the team if time permits
• Dissolve walls between teams
Programming | Automation | Networks | Internet | Database | Mobile |
SDLC | Domain | Unit Testing | Design
• Critical thinking
Tester Role when came into
being as distinct from that of
a programmer – Skills looked
some what similar to this.
Agile did not change to a
Agile made some of the
broader skills mandatory
Ability to work outside core area
Culture change we are seeking to
make Agile truly work WILL NOT
A Prophecy ….
Why …. ?
• Humans … [ we seek Processes, Tools, Best Practices ]
• Humans are unpredictable, often lazy, Greedy …
• We are never happy …
• With Humans - Can’t Scale …
• With Humans – Can’s make continuous profits
• Yet we see AI as future when have not understood intelligence fully
• Can you explain why many intelligent people do silly and unimaginable things
• But you can’t take humans out of equation …
You can change culture in which Agile Truly – Take humans out
Some Takeaway for everyone ….
• Seek people with real skills
• Do what works in your
• Bring Diversity in the team
All others ….
• Bit of critical thinking and
understandinghistory of ideas helps
• Refocus yourefforts on delivering
• Have fun
Testers With Agile
• Improve testing skills
• Do not get locked to specific
toolset or methodology
• Get involved inthe team
• Kill the tiltle
Agile Title …..
• Improve testing skills
• Develop Broader skills that
make you acceptablein
variety of contexts
• You are fine with out being
called as “Agile Tester”
Keep your Vigil On …..
“ This …. shouldserve as a reminder to
us all... Talk aboutthe virtues of what
we know and avoid bashing that which
we do not.
You obviously see Agile as a threat, you
should blog about that! ”