Successfully reported this slideshow.
Human Karyotype
Phylogenetic Tree of Primates
QUEENSBOROUGH COMMUNITY COLLEGE
(CUNY)
PRINCIPLES OF BIOLOGY
BIO-140
COURSE ...
Approximate Schedule
Topic Chapter #
Introduction (Week 1)
Introduction Biology Today
UNIT 3: Evolution and Diversity (Weeks 2,3 & 4)
How Populations Evolve
Ho...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Bio 140 syllabus qcc, lecture outline with exam dates

626 views

Published on

Published in: Technology, Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Bio 140 syllabus qcc, lecture outline with exam dates

  1. 1. Human Karyotype Phylogenetic Tree of Primates QUEENSBOROUGH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (CUNY) PRINCIPLES OF BIOLOGY BIO-140 COURSE OUTLINE FALL 2012 Course Objectives:  For students to begin to develop an understanding of how a natural science, like biology, is used to explain the world around us through evidence and reasoning.  For students to learn some concepts in biology that may serve them in dealing with a complex life. Lecture Text:  Campbell Essential Biology with Physiology, by Simon, Reece and Dickey, 3rd Edition, Pearson 2010. Laboratory manual:  Exercises in Biology, by D. Meyer, Pearson Custom Publishing,2008, Third Edition Other Resources:  A Web site, known as Blackboard has been established by CUNY for every class at QCC. Your instructor will let you know if this site will be an active part of the class.  For additional information and help go to www.masteringbiology.com. Use your code made available to you once you purchase the text book. Grades: The lecture grade will constitute 65% of your final grade and will be based on exams prepared by your lecture instructor. The remaining 35% will be based on the grade provided by your laboratory instructor. To pass the course you must pass both the lab and the lecture parts of the course with a grade of 60 or better. Student Responsibilities:  You are expected to attend class on time every time. Coming late to class may be counted as an absence.  Excessive absences (more than SIX in lecture and more than TWO in lab) will result in a grade of WU (unofficial withdrawal).  You are responsible for all material covered in the event of an unavoidable absence.  Makeup exams will only be given for lecture exams missed for legitimate reasons. Talk to your instructor.  Cell phones must be turned off in class (MANDATORY).  You have the responsibility of learning; the instructor is only responsible for guiding you on what to learn and how to think.
  2. 2. Approximate Schedule Topic Chapter #
  3. 3. Introduction (Week 1) Introduction Biology Today UNIT 3: Evolution and Diversity (Weeks 2,3 & 4) How Populations Evolve How Biological Diversity Evolves The Evolution of Microbial life Evolution of Animals. UNIT 4: Ecology (Week 5) An Introduction to Ecology and Biosphere UNIT 1: Cells (Weeks 6,7,8,9 &10) The Essential Chemistry for Biology The Molecules of Life A Tour of the Cell The Working Cell Cellular Respiration: Obtaining Energy from Food Photosynthesis: Using Light to Make Food UNIT 2: Genetics (Weeks 11,12 &13) Cell Reproduction: Cells from Cells Patterns of Inheritance Structure and Function of DNA DNA Technology Gene Expression and Regulation Chapter 1 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15 Chapter 17 Chapter 18 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9 Chapter 10 Chapter 12 Chapter 10

×