Legitimacy through Participation: the Roleof National Parliaments Gordana Čomić Serbia
• Institutional „memory“ - is there any? (openness and communication)• Procedures – can there be „copy / paste“ process? (never been there, never done that)• Constitutional dialogue – is it possible? (the tragedy of the commons)• Timeline – managing „time“ & reforming? (what you need you have to make)• Coping with multitasking (changing the constitution is just one more item on “to do” list)Context (joining EU)
issue procedures• Who decides about it? • How to create it?• Where is the list? • How to implement? • Where to start?• “Self-made” issues? • Should there be• EU instructions? parliament “ownership”• Following others? or not?Changing
DEBATE (DIALOGUE)How to ensure “voice of minority”?How to get all “in one room”?
• Similarities and differences between companies and parliaments (sometimes, it is hard to say)• Is it about fundamental human rights or is it about efficiency for efficiency sake? (sharing with people)• Do we take important things for granted? (someone died for constitutional freedoms, once upon a time)• What about common social will – reached, understood?“corporative democracy”
• Fundamental freedoms and rights• Basic principles of democracy (that we know and love)• Laws and regulations directly implemented• Fiscal and monetary policies (agreed and harmonized)• Solidarity and accountabilityNational vs EU (or not vs)
• Freedom• Rule of law• Equity• Equality• Citizens and basic human rightsRule by law or Rule by the law?What is the purpose?
TIMELINE~300 years ago Frenchrevolution, • Taking the role and power of the~200 years ago another parliaments BACK, wheredifferent revolutions, „power of the people” should be~100 years agorevolutions and World • Taking the leading role in theWars, process of changing~50 years ago UNDeclaration on human • Taking the responsibility forrights and freedom, representation~30 years ago EU startedto “mean business”, • If not now, than - when?now what?History happens again?
• How to “cook” a good, “tasty” Constitution (changed) of the material available?• Take the most of political parties (as they are)• Take the most of institutional capacities (as they are, not as they should be)• When society reach the obstacle that can not be removed, take the “reverse question”: => what happens if we do not reach the agreement?• Remember – there is no bad example that can not serve as good example for “do not do that”EU taken as a recipe…
National Assembly Republic of SerbiaThank you!