Unlock the full potential of
your business-critical applications
Dr. Jayaraj Poroor
Data architecture defines
“Show me your flowcharts and conceal your tables, and I
shall continue to be mystified. Show me your tables, and I
won't usually need your flowcharts; they'll be obvious.”
Computer Pioneer & Turing Award* Winner
* Turing Award is Computer Science equivalent of Nobel Prize
Benefits of proper data architecture
● Reduced code complexity
Data Architecture: Good vs Bad
Wrong Data Architecture
Right Data Architecture
Not all application data are equal
The same application may have diverse data requirements.
Force fit all data into the same
● Poor performance/scalability
● Complex application code
Application’s diverse data
A single data store won’t fit all
Hybrid Data Architecture
● Use the right kind of data store for each
different kind of data requirement.
● 19+ years of experience in industry and
○ Holds PhD in Computer Science
● Has been architecting software systems
for 14 years.
● Hands-on experience with diverse
programming languages/platforms in
Hybrid Data Architecture
● Understanding your application requirements and developing a hybrid data
architecture and design that best suites your application needs.
○ I can advise at CTO level or directly work with tech leads.
● Giving hands-on training sessions to the developers to help them come up
to speed on various database technologies.
● Helping developers integrate hybrid data access into the application code.
● Helping your sysadmin get the various databases installed and configured
in your servers or in a cloud platform such as the AWS.
Real project cases
(1) Migrating from pure MySQL to hybrid MySQL/Amazon
S3 improved an application’s performance by a factor of
5 and reduced the main transactional database size by
a factor of 50.
(2) Migrating from pure MySQL-based system to a hybrid
architecture of MySQL/ElasticSearch/Neo4J reduced
the application code complexity significantly and
reduced development/testing time.
Real project cases (2)
(3) Employing a hybrid architecture of
MySQL/Redis/InfluxDB a highly scalable and stable IoT
back-end application was developed in 3 month’s time
by 2 developers.
(4) Search performance significantly improved for a web
application by employing a hybrid architecture of
(5) Employing Mapdb at the client-side greatly enhanced
user experience, allowing disconnected operation.
Realize the full potential of your business-critical
applications through hybrid data architecture.