Workshop on Fostering Innovation for Cyber-Physical Systems, Advanced Computing & Manufacturing
CloudPYME: A Full Value-chain
Ecosystem for the
Provision of Modeling and
Simulation Services on
Cloud for SMEs
To provide high performance computing and advanced
communications resources and services to the scientific
community of Galicia and to the Spanish National Research
Council (CSIC), as well as, to institutions and enterprises
with R&D&I activity.
To promote high quality research in Computational
Science in close collaboration with the research community
from Galicia as well as from other regions or countries all
over the world; contributing in this way to the advancement
of science, to transfer technology to industry and
administrations, and as consequence, to the welfare of
society as a whole.
HPC for SMEs
“… HIGHLIGHTS that HPC is a crucial asset for the EU's innovation
capacity and STRESSES its strategic importance to benefit the EU's
industrial capabilities as well as its citizens, by innovating industrial
products and services, increasing competitiveness, and addressing
grand societal and scientific challenges more effectively.”
Draft Council Conclusions on 'High Performance Computing: Europe's place in a
Global Race’” of March 27th, 2013
But for SMEs, HPC does not always mean big supercomputers
SIMULATION IN SMEs in Galicia (2004)
• Identify, Verify and Validate Open Software
• External Support
• CPU on demand
HPC on Cloud
CPUs on Demand
Same CloudPYME Distribution
Tested with companies
Carpintaria Domingos Fernandes Ralha e Herdeiros
What have we learnt?
• Open Source CAD is not welcome.
• CAE Open software is not easy to use, not
friendly. But IT is powerful.
• Bandwidth is a barrier. Another solution for
• Windows (SMEs) vs Linux world.
• New functionalities (as robust studies) are
more suitable for Cloud.
Next Step: CloudPYME 2
• Promote HPC, not only M&S
– Improve Cloud platform
– Open calls for experiments
– Consulting about usage of HPC
• Exploring the deployment of PLM among
• Exploring and promoting Open Innovation
• Visit: http://www.cloudpyme.eu/en
• Simulation and HPC is a must for SMEs
• Still important barriers to adopt it
• Supercomputing centres have the
• But need collaboration with Tech Centers
• Open Software and Cloud could help
adoption, but need improvements