This lesson does not deny God the Father or God the Holy Spirit or make Them to be any less significant in any way.
It is presented, however, to stir up your minds and hearts to study and to appreciate and be on fire for Jesus.
There are many thoughts and notions about Jesus. There are many beliefs and misconceptions about Jesus.
There are many references to Jesus outside the Bible. Josephus (37-101 AD) Thallus (52 AD) Tacitus (56-120 AD) Pliny the Younger (61-113 AD) Seutonius (69-140 AD) Mara Bar-Serapion (70 AD) Phlegon (80-140 AD) Lucian of Samosata (115-200 AD) Celsus (175 AD) The Jewish Talmud (400-700 AD) The Qur'an (610-632 AD) The Toledot (1000 AD)
1. Is Jesus merely a Good Man? Many people think Jesus is just a good man. The Bible and other references teach us Jesus went about doing good. Acts 10:38 ( You know of) Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and ( how) He went about doing good, and healing all who were oppressed by the devil...
1. Is Jesus merely a Good Man? If Jesus is just a good man, then by the things He said, He is a liar. John 14:6 “ I am the way, and the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me.”
1. Is Jesus merely a Good Man? John 8:55-56 “and you have not come to know Him, but I know Him; and if I say that I do not know Him, I shall be a liar like you, but I do know Him, and keep His word....” 1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar. And His word is not in us... Heb. 6:18 ...it is impossible for God to lie... We know He is not a liar.
2. Is Jesus merely a prophet? Those who proclaimed God's word by inspiration were prophets. Heb. 1:1-2 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in ( His) Son... Even Islam acknowledges Jesus is a prophet. The Qur’an
2. Is Jesus merely a prophet? The Samaritan woman at the well. John 4:19 The woman said to Him, “Sir”, “I perceive that You are a prophet...” On the day of Pentecost, Peter quotes from Deut. 18:19 . Acts 3:22 “Moses said, THE LORD GOD SHALL RAISE UP FOR YOU A PROPHET LIKE ME FROM YOUR BRETHREN...”
3. Is Jesus a little or sub-god? The Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus is a created being. Aid to Bible Understanding p. 918 They also believe Jesus is Michael the Archangel. Aid to Bible Understanding p. 1152 They believe He is not God. Not Deity. The Word-Who Is He? p. 40
4. Who Then is Jesus? Col. 1:16 For by Him all things were created, ( both) in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities – all things have been created by Him and for Him.
4. Who Then is Jesus? Gen. 1:1- In the beginning, God created...and God said...and God said...and God said...(the Creator and the Word of God) John 1:1-3; 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. v.14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us... (the Word of God becomes Jesus)
4. Who Then is Jesus? Even God the Father calls Him God, Lord, Son, and Creator. Heb. 1:5-11 For to which of the angels did He ever say, “ THOU ART MY SON, TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN THEE?” Ps. 2:7 and again, “I WILL BE A FATHER TO HIM, AND HE SHALL BE A SON ME?” 2 Sam. 7:14 v. 8 But of the Son ( He Says) , “THY THRONE, OH GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER.” Ps. 45:6 v. 10-11 and, “THOU, LORD IN THE BEGINNING DIDST LAY THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH, AND THE HEAVENS ARE THE WORKS OF THY HANDS. THEY WILL PERISH, BUT THOU REMAINEST...” Ps. 45:7; 102:25-26
5. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament Jesus is the Creator. Gen. 1:1- In the beginning God created...and God said...and God said... John 1:3 All things came into being by Him... Heb. 1:10 “...AND THE HEAVENS ARE THE WORKS OF THY HANDS...” Ps. 102:25 Rev. 3:14 (Jesus speaking to John) “And to the angel of the church in Ladodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, The Beginning * lit. source or origin * of the creation of God, says this...”
5. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament When God speaks it is the Word of God. The Word of God is Jesus John 1:1 ; Rev. 19:11-13 Talking to Adam, Eve and the serpent in the garden. Gen. 3:8-24 Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?”... v. 11 And He said, “Who told you that you were naked?”... v. 13 Then the LORD God said to the woman,... v. 14 And the LORD God said to the serpent,... v. 16 To the woman He said,... v. 17 Then to Adam He said,...
5. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament He is the God of Abram at the covenant of circumcision. Gen. 17:1 Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said, “I am God Almighty: Walk before Me and be blameless...”
5. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament He is Abraham's guest before the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Gen. 18:1-; 19:1- Now the LORD appeared to him by the Oaks of Mamre while he was sitting at the tent door... v. 2 and he lifted up his eyes, and looked, behold three men were standing opposite him; and when he saw ( them) , he ran from the tent door to meet them, and he bowed himself to the earth... v. 17 And the LORD said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do...? v. 33 And as soon as He had finished speaking to Abraham the LORD departed. Ch. 19:1 Now the two angels came to Sodom in the morning...
5. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament Talking to Moses in the burning bush. Ex. 3:14-15 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM”, and He said, “thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.” And God, furthermore, said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations.”
5. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament He speaks to Job. Job 38 to 41 The the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said, “Who is this that darkens council by words without knowledge?... v. 4 “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth...” and He goes on to tell Job of all the creation in the next chapters.
5. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament He is the One who protects Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego in the fiery furnace. Dan. 3:24-25 Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonished and stood up in haste; he responded and said to his high officials, “Was it not three men we cast bound into the midst of the fire?” They answered him and said to the king, “Certainly, O king.” He answered and said, “Look! I see four men loosed ( and) walking ( about) in the midst of the fire without harm, and the appearance of the fourth is like a son of ( the) gods. Ref. Jer. 1:8, 19; 15:21 I am with you to deliver you.
6. Jesus is the God of the New Testament Jesus' birth foretold to Mary. Luke 1:30-35 v. 31-35 “And behold, you will conceive in your womb, and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever; and His kingdom will have no end.” v. 35 “... and for that reason the holy offspring shall be called the Son of God.”
6. Jesus is the God of the New Testament Again the Samaritan woman at the well. Remember she called Him a prophet earlier in the lesson? John 4:25-26 The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us.” Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am ( he) .”
6. Jesus is the God of the New Testament Healing the lame man on the Sabbath. John 5:18 For this cause the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but was also calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.
6. Jesus is the God of the New Testament After the episode with the adulterous woman when He was speaking to the Jews. John 8:1-, 18, 23-24, 57-58 v. 18 “I am He who bears witness of Myself, and the Father bears witness of Me.” v. 23-24 “You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world. I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am ( He) , you shall die in your sins.” v. 57-58 The Jews therefore said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”
6. Jesus is the God of the New Testament When Jesus is before Caiaphas at His trial. Matt. 26:63-64; Mark 14:61-62; Luke 22:67-70 But Jesus kept silent, and the high priest said to Him, “I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.” Jesus said to him, “You have said it (yourself) ; nevertheless, I tell you, hereafter you shall see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, ... Ps. 110:1 The LORD says to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand...” “and COMING IN THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN.” Dan. 7:13
6. Jesus is the God of the New Testament After the resurrection speaking to Thomas. John 20:27-28 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach here your finger, and see My hands, and reach here your hand, and put it into My side; and be not unbelieving, but believing.” Thomas answered and said to Him, “ My Lord and my God!”
6. Jesus is the God of the New Testament Before Jesus' ascension to heaven. Matt. 28:18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “ All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth...”
6. Jesus is the God of the New Testament At the stoning of Stephen. Acts 7:56, 59 v. 56 and he said, “Behold I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” v. 59 and they went on stoning Stephen as he called upon ( the Lord) and said, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”
6. Jesus is the God of the New Testament Saul on the road to Damascus. Acts 9:1-6 v. 4 and he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?” v. 5 And he said, “Who art thou, Lord?” And He ( said) , “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting...”
7. Jesus is the God of all time and eternity Gen. 1 He is the Creator Phil. 2:6-8 Who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking on the form of a bond-servant, ( and) being made in the likeness of men, and being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
7. Jesus is the God of all time and eternity Again John 8:58 “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.” Rev. 22:13 “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”
Jesus is God! Jesus is the God of the Old and New Testaments! Jesus is the God of all time and eternity!
THE BRIGHT MORNING STAR (Rev. 22:16) THE CREATOR (Gen. 1, et al) OUR DELIVERER (Rom 11.26 et al) ELOHIM (Gen. 1) EL-SHADDAI (Gen. 17:1 et al) THE HOLY ONE (Acts 2:27 et al) THE GREAT I AM (Ex. 3:14, John. 8:58) IMMANUEL (Isaiah 7:14) JEHOVAH (Ps 83:18 et al) KING of KINGS (1 Tim. 6:15, Rev. 19:16) THE LAMB of GOD (John 1:29) LORD of LORDS (1 Tim. 6:15, Rev. 19:16) THE MESSIAH (John 4:25 et al) OUR PASSOVER LAMB (1 Cor. 5:7) OUR REDEEMER (Job 19:25) THE RIGHTEOUS ONE (1 John 2:1) THE TRUE LIGHT (John 1:9) THE TRUE WITNESS (Rev. 3:14)
Rev. 19:11-13 And I saw heaven opened; and behold, a white horse, and He who sat upon it ( is) called Faithful and True; and in righteousness He judges and wages war. And His eyes ( are) a flame of fire, and upon His head ( are) many diadems; and He has a name written ( upon Him) which no one knows except Himself. And ( He is) clothed with a white robe dipped in blood; and His name is called The Word of God .
Isaiah 9:6 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called WONDERFUL COUNSELOR , MIGHTY GOD , ETERNAL FATHER , PRINCE Of PEACE .
Rev. 1:8 I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, THE ALMIGHTY . Let us all give HIM praise !