Information for Qualitative
with a focus on Health and Place
A Dissertation Proposal
• How do we constructively capture, consume,
visualize and analyze location based qualitative data?
– Can it result in something useful?
– How so?
– Is it extensible? Can it be specific (e.g. health)?
– Can it contribute to mixed-methods research?
Why does this research matter?
• Existing Geovisual applications are poorly equipped to
support place based qualitative data
• No framework currently in place to handle qualitative spatial
• Develops methods to interface with hard to reach
• Within native environment
• In their own words
• Near real time surveillance
• Allows dissenting voices to be captured
• The system stays in the community after the research is
PPGIS & VGI
• Access Data • Create Data
• Neg: Political • Neg: Frivolous
• Process & Outcomes • Applications &
Differences are not always clear!
Definite Overlap, but not clear how much!
• Less GIS – More Location
• Not Explicitly Group Based – Individual
• New voice for the local (Goodchild 07)
• New avenue for PH surveillance
• Encapsulates Social Media