1. Pick up the phone in three rings . More
than three rings signals inattentiveness.
2. Greet the caller, e.g. “hello”, “good
morning”. Good manners shows you
respect the caller.
3. Tell the customer your name.
4. Ask them how you may help them
5. Tell the customer you are there for the
Answering the Telephone
• Know the name of person you want to
reach or talk to.
• Verify the number before calling anyone.
• Keep frequently called numbers handy.
• Ask them whether it is convenient for
them to talk.
Placing a Call
• Avoid rude expression
• Use simple words like “yes’’ rather than a
• Show respect to other by greeting them
with words like “I appreciate your help”.
• Speak slowly and clearly
Words to choose before a call
• Ask permission before placing the call on
• Indicate how long delay could be
• Never leave the customer on hold for
more than 1 minute.
Placing call on hold
• If you place a call and reach what appears
to be a wrong number , immediately
check the number
• Regret for dialling the wrong number
If you call a wrong number
• Inform the caller politely that they have
reached a wrong number.
• Suggest them to recheck the number and
• Never get aggressive on callers.
Someone calls you by mistake
• Never make any caller to wait more than
30 minutes for the supervision
• Listen, investigate and act to resolve issue
• Do not allow yourself to get angry
• Never put an angry customer on hold as
this makes them more angry
• Express regrets for situation
• Suggest customer the alternative for
Handling complaints and aggressive
• Transfer the call only if you are unable to
help the caller.
• Ask permission to transfer the call.
• Give the new party all information before
you transfer the call.
• Never transfer the call more than 2 time.
A person may forget what you said,
A person may forget what you do,
But, a person will never forget how you
made them feel on talk…..