Personal bibliographic software managercapture, organize, store, share and manipulate dataKeep track of searched articles (won’t have to search for them more than once) and help streamline research process by storing searches in one placeHelps you organize your research while you do your research
- check boxes to add to e-shelf Go into e-shelf Highlight what you want to add, then hit little “Go” button to add to RW.
From AveryThe steps:Perform searchMark records you want to keepClick RefWorks button or enter marked records page, and then click RefWorks buttonImport the selected records
School of Architecture uses Chicago style.
Note in the 2nd paragraph of the DURING section: Anonymous with no other information. This is a website (non-scholarly) and something that should be watched closely when citing.
1. RefWorks: The Basics<br />Save time and get organized!<br />
2. What is RefWorks?<br />RefWorks is a research organization and referencing tool, which allows you to:<br />Organize your research and create a database of citations and references to articles and books<br />Create bibliographies and in-text citations<br />Share resources and references with fellow students<br />
3. Let’s login!<br />The University of Waterloo Group Code allows for off-campus authentication so you can access RefWorks from anywhere!<br />
4. Searching and Importing - Primo<br />This is how you can add a single record from Primo directly… <br />
5. Searching and Importing - Primo<br />… or you can mark records as you go and then add them to RefWorks through your e-shelf.<br />
6. Searching and Importing - Avery<br />Mark the records you would like to add to your database. All you have to do next is hit the RefWorks button!<br />
7. Searching and Importing - Avery<br />Hit the “Export to RefWorks” button and it will take the references right into RefWorks.<br />
8. Importing into RefWorks<br />Make sure you’re watching… if the import doesn’t work, it will say so here. Just go back to your search and import the references again.<br />
9. View Last Imported Folder<br />
10. How to create a folder<br />Step 1:<br />Step 2:<br />
11. Moving information around<br />RefWorks allows you to create multiple folders to store your information. You can transfer between folders by marking what you want to move and then simply choosing which folder to save it in.<br />
12. Creating Bibliographies<br />You can add an entire folder to your bibliography or you can pick and choose by adding selected references to “My List.”<br />
13. Creating Bibliographies<br /> Next, click Bibliography – then choose your desired citation style to create the bibliography you want! <br />
14. Finished Bibliography (HTML)<br />This next piece of information is very important: RefWorks is not perfect. Make sure you check you work before you submit anything. Notice how some names and places in this list should be capitalized…<br />
15. What else can RefWorks do?<br />RefShare<br />This feature allows you to share folders of references with group members<br />To share a folder: Tools > Share References<br />To view a shared folder: View > RefWorks Shared Area<br />
16. What else can RefWorks do?<br />RefGrab-it<br /><ul><li>This feature allows you to use RefWorks to cite any websites you want to use during your research.
17. Simply drag and drop the bookmarklet from the RefGrab-it download page (Tools > RefGrab-it) into your bookmark bar</li></li></ul><li>RefGrab-it example<br />Click the RefGrab-it bookmarklet when you have found a website that you want to add to your RefWorks database.<br />
18. RefGrab-it example<br />
19. RefGrab-it example<br />It is important with websites to watch how the citation is written, as it could be missing information that is necessary. You can always modify the citation in RefWorks before adding it to your final reference list.<br />The great part is how RefGrab-it notes the day that you accessed the information so you don’t have to remember!<br />
20. What else can RefWorks do?<br />Write ‘n’ Cite<br /><ul><li>This feature allows you to add in-text citations to your papers as you’re writing them
21. It will also insert a complete bibliography of the references you used when you’re done.