2. Plot Summary <ul><li>A Mumbai teen who knows all the answers in the Indian version of “Who wants to be a millionaire?” In the beginning of the film, he is one question away from 20 million rupees, the biggest prize of the contest. He works at a call center, serving tea to the telephone operators. The officials interrogate him to find out, how on earth, an uneducated teenage boy like Jamal knows all the answers to the questions. Is Jamal cheating? Is he purely lucky or does he have enough life experience? </li></ul>
3. Jamal Malik ambitious - he takes risks that others would never take to achieve his goals. he dives into a hole full of excrement so that he could get out of the toilet in order to get an autograph of his famous singer. He introduces himself as a cook so that he can enter Javed’s house which is another big risk. uneducated – grew up in the slums of Mumbai where children are forced to work at an early age. Even if there are opportunities, children have to make a living instead of going to school. romantic - for Jamal, love is more important than money. In the police station, he admits Latika is the reason why he joined the competition.
4. Salim Malik <ul><li>Jamal’s older brother </li></ul><ul><li>He is hungry for money; </li></ul><ul><li>- He sells Jamal’s autograph when they are little kids. </li></ul><ul><li>- He gets angry to lose his customer because Jamal doesn’t get out of the toilet. </li></ul><ul><li>He is hungry for power; </li></ul><ul><li>- Killing Maman is easy for him and he starts to work for Javed, another gang leader. </li></ul><ul><li>- He says “He says I do anything Javed asks” </li></ul><ul><li>- He points a gun at Jamal’s head and threatens him: “I am number 1 now... “ “The man with the colt 45 (a type of gun) says ‘Shut up’” </li></ul>
5. CONFLICT Conflict is the struggle between opposing forces. A story is not a real story without a conflict. There must be some kind of a problem for the action to develop. Conflict is one of the most important elements of stories as it causes the action. Without a conflict, the plot would not be realistic.
6. There are two types of conflict 1. External Conflict It is the struggle which occurs between a character and an opposing force. This opposing force is called the antagonist . The antagonist might be another person, an animal, a natural force or society .
7. For example... Spiderman has an external conflict with the Green Goblin –because ; Spiderman is a super hero who fights for the security of the city. Green Goblin endangers the security by attacking innocent people. So he becomes an antagonist for Spiderman.
8. Everyone on the Titanic had an external conflict with the huge iceberg because the iceberg was the reason that the ship sank which resulted in the death of many people on board the Titanic.
9. What are the conflicts in the story Slumdog Millionaire ? Jamal with Salim Jamal with Prem Kumar Muslims with Hindus Legal authority with children in slums Jamal with legal authorities
10. Central Conflict Central conflict is the problem in the center of the action. There may also be several other conflicts throughout the plot. The Central conflict is between Jamal and legal authorities. He has to go through a difficult stage to prove that he is innocent. Being an uneducated teenager from the slums, he is belittled by the presenter of the show and the police inspector. He has to make them believe that he knew the answers because of his difficult and often unpleasant life experiences.