1. Freshers’ MELA Quiz
Quiz Club, IITK
welcomes you to
2. And Presenting your Quizmasters
• Raunak Raj
• Enayat Ullah
• Shashank Bhandari
• Rishav Raj Agarwal
3. General Instructions
• Split up into teams of three
• Keep some space between you and your neighbouring team
• Grab a paper and a pen
• And, “Let it Rip”
*P.S. By participating in this quiz, you have agreed that if
any one of us invents time travel in future, we’ll come back
to the this moment to test it on.
5. Specific Rules
• Each question is worth 1 point, unless mentioned otherwise.
• There will be four starred questions for tiebreakers.
• Let the Games begin!
*Justin Bieber references will be frowned upon
6. 1. Identify the map shown.
The book is divided in 5 parts
• Mitra-labha or Mitra-samprapti
Name of the book?
Where would you find this quotation
“I show not your face but your hearts desire”?
11. Mirror of Erised
12. 4. Gimme X.
X was an English short-story writer, poet, and novelist chiefly
remembered for his tales and poems of British soldiers in India
and his tales for children. He was born in Bombay, in the Bombay
Presidency of British India, and was taken by his family to England
when he was five years old. In 1907 he was awarded the Nobel
Prize in Literature, making him the first English-language writer to
receive the prize, and to date he remains its youngest recipient.
Among other honours, he was sounded out for the British Poet
Laureateship and on several occasions for a knighthood, all of
which he declined.
13. Rudyard Kipling
14. 5. Identify this wonderful man.
He is a National Award winning Indian Hindi film actor of Gujarati
background who has appeared in a large of Hindi movies either
playing a villain or in a comedy role, mostly.
15. Paresh Rawal
16. 6. Connect these lovely ladies.
17. Nirma Washing Powder
18. 7. Jo hai mujh mein samaya…
• X is a 3 word Arabic phrase which refers to the act of
manifesting, existing or being. In the Qur'an, Allah commands
the universe 'to be' and 'it is'. Which 2011 popular sufi song
attributes it's title from the phrase?
19. Kun Faya Kun
A Tale of Two Cities (1859) is a novel by Charles Dickens, set
before and during the French Revolution. Which are the two
cities the novel refers to?
21. London and Paris
There is a school for ‘Gifted Youngsters’ at 1407 Graymalkin Lane
in Salem Center, a city in Westchester County, New York although
every human can see it as the Westchester chapter of Jehovah’s
Witnesses. What are the students who study here, collectively
24. 10. Give us X and Y
25. Asgard and Midgard
This is the present day
photo of 21 year olds
Spencer Elden who is not at
all famous for anything
But when he was 3 months
old, he was cast in
something which is still
considered iconic and was
apparently the unwitting
star of a breakthrough
feature - one that would
catapult the artists to
super-stardom. What was
George Lazenby is last on the list of what?
28. List of actors no. of times portraying
29. 13. Connect
30. The Da Vinci Code
32. Back To The Future
Exhaustive list of what?
• Heidi Klum - (1999 - present)
• Adriana Lima - (2000 - present)
• Alessandra Ambrosio - (2004 - present)
• Miranda Kerr - (2006 - present)
• Marisa Miller - (2007- present)
• Doutzen Kroes - (2008 - present)
34. Victoria Secret Angels
35. *16. Tell us the name of the
This movie ranks twenty-fifth on the American Film
Institute(AFI)'s list of the greatest American movies of all time
and also takes the first spot in AFI’s list of Ten Greatest films in
the category ‘Courtroom Drama’. Also, in 2003, AFI named the
protagonist ‘Atticus Finch’ the greatest movie hero of the 20th
36. To Kill a Mocking Bird
An Exhaustive List of what?
38. Reindeers of Santa
Knowing that moviemakers and novelists have a penchant for
naming their works from phrases in poems,
identify the poet of the given stanza and the name of the
critically acclaimed 2004 movie which is blanked out in the
stanza. The Wikipedia page of the movie also adds that the title is
taken from the poem Eloisa to Abelard by X, the story of a tragic
love affair, where forgetfulness became the heroine's only
“How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
______ _______ __ ___ ________ _____!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;”
40. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
41. 19. Who are these gentlemen dressed
42. Thomson and Thompson
43. 20. Connect?
44. Sunny Leone
45. 21. What is blacked out?
46. Life of Pi
47. 22. Connect.
• 2006- Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Padm Shri Dr Nerla
Venumadha, dancer Astad Deboo.
• 2007-Atif Aslam, Poets of the Fall
• 2008- Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Farhan Akhtar
• 2009-KK, Jaded Sun
• 2010-Shafqat Amanat Ali, Vasundhara Das
• 2011-Sunidhi Chauhan
• 2012- Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy