1. Paul Bradshaw Media consultant and trainer Visiting Professor, City University, London MA Course Leader, Birmingham City University Publisher, Online Journalism Blog Founder, Help Me Investigate Twitter.com/paulbradshaw Online journalism in 2011: it's not our story
2. 1. Engagement vs scale 2. Live multiplatform media 3. Big data Themes
3. “ Window shoppers” .
4. source: Ofcom ( http://www.ofcom.org.uk/research/cm/icmr08/converge.pdf ) Social: “according to Nielsen, the average UK internet user spent three hours and 40 minutes on ‘member community sites’ in September 2008, up 42% on the figure of two hours and 35 minutes for a year previously.” (2.5 mins on newspaper sites - comScore)
5. Everyblock, Patch & NowPublic bought by US media orgs CNN partners with Outside.In Regional UK press goes hyperlocal Guardian Local Telegraaf & JV.dk The hyperlocal hype
6. News International hard wall NYT free via links FT freemium Guardian app subscriptions Paywalls and velvet ropes
7. Birmingham City Council refuses access to bloggers Walsall Council likes blogs’ strong presence on social networks Southwark allow recording of public meetings Local government culture clashes
8. “ We have an answer for the question posted at 4.02” .
13. “ Each weekday, my computer program goes to the Chicago Police Department's website and gathers all crimes reported in Chicago.” Adrian Holovaty
16. “ The Tribune’s biggest magnet by far has been its more than three dozen interactive databases , which collectively have drawn three times as many page views as the site’s stories .” http://bit.ly/dj2dmz
19. Times film genres
21. Paul Bradshaw Media consultant and trainer Visiting Professor, City University, London Course Leader, MA Online Journalism, Birmingham City University Publisher, Online Journalism Blog Linkedin.com/in/onlinejournalist Twitter.com/paulbradshaw Questions? (all links at delicious.com/paulb/brussels11)