• You can research an issue of your choice. This can
be something you have studied during Higher
• Your topic has to be a historical question that has
several possible answers; it is a debate
• Your question should start with a phrase such as:
* How fully…? * To what extent…?
* How important…? * “Quote”. How valid…?
Possible Topics: Wars of Independence
• “The main reason for William Wallace’s success
was the support of Andrew Murray.” How valid is
• How important was the Declaration of Arbroath
in helping Scotland secure its independence in
• To what extent was the Scottish victory at the
Battle of Bannockburn the result of English
Possible Topics: Britain 1851-1951
• How fully did the 1906-1914 Liberal Reforms meet
the needs of the British people?
• To what extent were the actions of the
Suffragettes the main reason that women gained
the vote in 1918?
• “The 1906-1914 Liberal governments would never
have introduced social reforms without the
actions of anti-poverty campaigners.” How valid is
Possible Topics: Germany 1815-1939
• How fully do economic policies explain how the
Nazis maintained control of Germany between
1933 and 1939?
• To what extent can Otto Von Bismarck be
credited with achieving German unification in
• “By 1850 political nationalism had made little
progress in Germany.” How valid is this view?