1. Lets Compare and Contrast The Capitol vs. District 12 To infer/deduce:to make an educated guess based on what you know about a situation. Read the following passage.
2. “They do surgery in the Capitol, to make people appear younger and thinner. In District 12, looking old is something of an achievementsince so many people die early. You see an elderly person, you want to congratulate them on their longevity, ask the secret of survival. A plump person is envied because they aren’t scraping by like the majority of us. But here it is different. Wrinkles aren’t desirable. A round belly isn’t a sign of success.” Katniss, “The Hunger Games” pg 125
3. Based on the previous passage, what can you infer about the differences between The Capitol and District 12? Mark the correct answer on your worksheet.
4. Capitol/District 12 Next, please determine which of the following characteristics belong to which place, the Capitol or District 12, and write them in the correct place on your worksheet.
5. -Colorful, glistening -Wardrobes at bounces back -Bizarre hair buildings the touch of a up styles, heavily button made-up people -Many residents -Travel on foot, donʼtuse -Showers that wagons, very -Mat that dries silverware can be few cars your body when programmed you stand on it -Surgical (with hot/cold -Food menu that alterations water) allows you to -No hot water available whisper what -Hair- you want & -Chain-link -Oranges are a drying/styling receive your fence with rarity, hot with one touch food in less than barbed wire chocolate a minute &electrified (that unheard of, -Windows that sometimes sugar is scarce zoom in on -Food that pops works) and has parts of the city up from tables holes in it -Wide-paved streets -Soft, plush -Drab dingy -High-speed bedding buildings transportation -Glass elevators (trains, that travel -High-tech force -Dirt paths or hovercraft) quickly field cobbled roads surrounding top -Bountiful all- of building -Hand-me-down you-can-eat so anything that clothes
6. Panem/United States Now, based on what you’ve practiced, on your worksheet, compare and contrast the similarities and differences between what you know about the way they live Panem and the way we live in the United States.