What can Communications do
What exactly is Communications?
• Well, Communications is a social process in
which individuals employ symbols to establish
and interpret meaning in their environment.
• Nonverbal and Verbal Communication
• Tones of voice
• Public Relations: maintain public image for a
• Human Communications: Interpersonal
• Media Production: Interactive media
• Media Studies: Deals with the mass media
• Communication is the largest major/
department in the Fulton school of business
(Salisbury University website).
• Becoming an expert in communication lays
the foundation for success in the largest
segment of the contemporary labor force
(DeFleur, 2005, pp.5).
• 623,800 jobs in 2008 (Bureau of Labor Statics,
U.S department of Labor, 2010-11 Edition).
So what kind of job can you get with a
• Corporate Communications Director
• Marketing Managers
• Speech Writer
• Film Editor
• Public Relations Specialist
• Individual who is hired to prepare and write
speeches that will be delivered by another
• Must be able to work with senior executives
and narrow down broad ideas, concepts, and
messages the executive wants to convey
• Conduct research about specific topics to get
better understanding of how to create an
• Can work in industries like education,
government, insurance, energy or financial
• Salary can range from about 40k-100k a year
• Speechwriters tend to have extremely good
• Profession is about 63% Female and 37% Male