1. How to retain information
when reading a text, that you,
must read but you don’t
understand it or don’t like it?
2. A text is in front of you, but reading is the last
thing you want to do at that time.
In that moment you are:
- Concentration is impossible
- Easily distracted
- Waste your time
- Leave it for next day!
3. In that moment you should:
Sit in front of the book, text. Close your eyes, take a deep
breath and relax.
You should start wondering:
Domain the content of this book?
Pass the course?
Flunk the course?
Approve with the highest grade?
And so on!
5. READING STRATEGIES
In skim reading, you just scan through the material,
letting your eyes catch key words. This can give you an
idea of the meaning of the material.
Skim several times
When reading a large amount of material, you can first
skim over the chapter and section titles to give you an
idea of what the material is about.
6. Read first sentence
Since often the first sentence of each paragraph states
the main idea of that paragraph, while the other
sentences elaborate on that idea, you can get enough
information by only reading the first sentence from
7. Complex reading
With some complex reading--like Mathematics--you
should still skim over the material, quickly looking at
section titles and the equations and formulae. After
you get an idea of what the material is about and
where it is going, you can read it more carefully.
8. Practice with a newspaper
Try reading several words, a phrase, or even a sentence
at a time. A good way to practice this is to read
newspaper articles by scanning down the column,
digesting all the words across, instead of reading each
word at a time. A newspaper column usually has 4 or 5
words per line, and you should be able to process all of
them at once.
9. Wal-Mart plans price cuts
Wal-Mart, which has
ridden low prices to
dominate the U.S. retail
scene, has stepped up its
game in price cutting
The world's largest retailer
said it will cut prices this
holiday season for a week
at a time on thousands of
items, from bananas to
The first group of cuts hit
Wal-Mart, also the largest
U.S. grocery seller and
overall retailer, hopes
shoppers will see a
widening gap between
prices at its stores and
those of its rivals.
11. Skim reading
• Skimming will be used to quickly identify the main
ideas of a text.
• People will be able to do at a speed three to four
times faster than normal reading.
• People will skim when they have lots of material to
read in a limited amount of time.
Read first sentence
• You will read the first sentence to give you a previous
idea of what will you read
• You can get enough information by only reading the
first sentence from each paragraph.
* You will read using this technique to have a faster
- Have a reading environment in your
- Make a schedule to read.
- Read something that you like
- Show interest about what you read