CASHFROMCHAOSA No nonsenseTalent Management Guideby: Karim J.P. Mélaouah
Disclaimer #1 ALL THE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS AND REAL PERSONS MENTIONED IN THIS WORK ARE USED HERE ONLY FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES. SOMETIMES A FICTIONAL CHARACTERIS PART OF OUR COLLECTIVE KNOWLEDGE JUST LIKE A FAMOUS REAL PERSON FOR ANY COPYRIGHT ISSUE PLEASE CONTACT THE AUTHOR AT THE MAIL PROVIDED IN THE LAST SLIDE Disclaimer #2 I HAVE DECIDED THE TITLE OF THIS WORK MONTHS BEFORE THE NEWS THAT MR MALCOLM MC LAREN WAS SERIOUSLY ILL. AFTER HIS DEATH I AM EVEN MORE PROUD OF USING IT, AS A POST-MORTEM TRIBUTE TO HIS GENIUS.
WHAT DOES IT TAKESTO MAKE PERSONAL TALENT PROFITABLE?
We have askedfootball managers,tv series writers, artists, madmenand various other folks...
the output:A GALLERY OF TALENT MANAGEMENT MODELS
1. THE 1970’sDUTCH FOOTBALL TEAM TOTAL FOOTBALL
1. THE 1970’s DUTCH FOOTBALL TEAM THEIR RULES High talented players Strong athletic skills Every player can play any role Playing with, not against, the rules (the offside trap) A free spirit team from a free spirit nation (dam square, the provos, the paradiso, the white bicycles...)
1. THE 1970’s DUTCH FOOTBALL TEAM TALENT MANAGENT RULES Widespread knowledge of the job Willingness to play 360° thinking Finding new opportunities in the market rules Sharing the spirit of the times
2. ENTOURAGE TV SHOW THEIR RULES A group of friends from the QueensThey want to succeed in the show business they all move to LA Vince is the big star Johnny is Vince’s older brother and the falling star E is the manager/business manTurtle is the runner/driver/body guard
2. ENTOURAGE TV SHOW MANAGEMENT RULES Friendship is the number one rule Preserve the group unity is crucial Every person plays a different role Every role is complementary to the othersEvery personal success must be helpful to the group
3. THE OFFICE (UK) TV SHOW THEIR RULES A normal office in a classic old school business A boss who thinks is a cool funny guy Every situation can turned to a laugh Employees laughing “at him” more than “with him”When the situation is desperate the boss starts to whine (with his bosses and with his employees)
3. THE OFFICE (UK) TV SHOW MANAGEMENT RULES A non innovative marketplace Everything must remains the same A tiranny disguised in a democracyA rational management of human passions
4. ARSENE WENGER’S ARSENAL THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT
4. ARSENE WENGER’S ARSENAL THEIR RULES Always in the top 4 in the English leagueAlways in the final stage of the Champions League One of the youngest team in the league A craddle of champions (Fabregas, Walcott, Ramsey, Wilshire...) A new stadium a good financial management No titles since...
4. ARSENE WENGER’S ARSENAL MANAGEMENT RULES A financially healthy company is a must Discover (and format) new talents The beauty of the game is crucialPlaying well is more important than winning
5. THE SOPRANO FAMILYTHE TRADITIONAL POWER PYRAMID
5. THE SOPRANO FAMILY THEIR RULES An ancient management traditionPersonal links are more important than business links A perfect power pyramid (bosses, sub bosses, soldiers...) Everybody works for his boss (and pays him a cut of everything) The official job may not be the most important job
5. THE SOPRANO FAMILY MANAGEMENT RULES Tradition Chain of command Family rules (indissoluble links) Power is everything Make their own rules
6. ANY MOURINHO’S TEAM THEIR RULES A trainer with no players backround Not from one of the top football school An history of successes A different attitude (I am the Special One)Always taking the blame and protecting his playersPerfect use of the media to prepare any challenge
6. ANY MOURINHO’S TEAM MANAGEMENT RULES A manager with personality and vision The world is “Us vs them”People in the team are protected from any external attack Importance of Media Relations Playing with the rules and with luck
7. THE WIRE THEIR RULESA team of policemen in one of the most violent city in USA Many different personalities and skills A tough manager who believes in chain of command (but also in delivering results) An open teamwork Working only on the big cases
7. THE WIRE MANAGEMENT RULESChoosing the right persons in a team like mixing a salad Use appropriately the different skills/experiences Clear vision, clear rules Freedom of execution Working only on the big cases
8. RATATOUILLE THEIR RULES A posh restaurant in ParisA place still living on his traditional recipes A young sous chef (or less) with no talent A little mouse with a big nose for food A very competitive marketplace (the nasty food critic)
8. RATATOUILLE MANAGEMENT RULESA business who is always looking back is not a winning one Try to challenge your own tradition Learn to discover hidden talents in your team
9. THE SHIELD THEIR RULESA special team in the LA police department A strike forceMain task: prevention of the street crimes Free from the classic police procedures
9. THE SHIELD MANAGEMENT RULES Certain tasks needs quick executions. If the whole organisation is not fast enough. A special team can be a good option.But the respect of the company mission is crucial. The spin off risks are always there.
The Uncertainty Principle.It proves we cant ever really know... whats going on. So it shouldnt bother you.
Contacts: FOR ANY QUESTION, INSULT, MARRIAGE PROPOSAL,IDEAS TO CO-WRITE A TV SHOW, SUGGESTION, JOB OFFER, GIGS/ARTICLES/MOVIES NOT TO BE MISSED, BOOKS ON THE SAME TOPIC BUT BETTER WRITTEN YOU CAN ALWAYS KEEP IN TOUCH WITH ME AT MAIL firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER @youmeanboris