In this presentation I will be explaining the conventions
of newspapers and newspaper websites.
• Caption for photo
• Paragraphs (short)
• First para sums up story
• Facts and opinions
• Form: Newspaper article
• · Structure Paragraphs, columns
• · Content: News, current affairs, information, facts, opinions,
• · Technical conventions:
• · Mode of address: Formal, serious – depends on the
newspaper. Can be more informal if it is a tabloid.
Newspaper website article
• Date and time
• Location links of the story
• Social sharing – which moves with the page navigation
• Headline and summing up sentence
• Very short paragraphs
• Bigger spaces between paragraphs
• No columns
• Some will have comments sections
• Side boxes with additional info
• Videos sometimes
A tabloid is a newspaper with compact page size smaller than
broadsheet, although there is no standard for the precise
dimensions of the tabloid newspaper format.
The broadsheet is the largest of newspaper formats and is
characterized by long vertical pages.
Tabloid and Broadsheet