ELA 10B Equality Mr. Germann
We Must Not Return to the Noose
Think about the following question and jot down some ideas.
1. Are you in favour or opposed to capital punishment?
2. Do you know of any cases of innocent people being imprisoned? Executed?
Post-Reading / Responding
1. Why do you suppose Roy Cook chose to open his article with the quotation
from John Robert Radclive?
2. Which part of this article do you think presents the most powerful reason
for not going back to capital punishment? What makes that part so
3. According to Cook, how man y people are working to have apital
punishment reinstated? Do you think his numbers are correct? Comment.
4. What changes does Cook suggest we need in the way convincted murderers
are handled in our justice system? Do you think the changes he proposes
would help to lower the numbers of murders in Canada? Why or why not?
5. According to Cook, What causes the debate about capital punishment to
keep coming up in the news?
1) What questions would you like to ask Roy Cook? (Come up with four.)