1. In the rainforest everyday is nearly the same. It’s avery wet environment. Didyou know that the totalrainfall in a year is 1500 to2500mm! It’s pretty obviousthat it rains everyday. Thetemperature is 30 to 35degrees during the day andwhen night falls it’s 20 to
2. • An area of a rainforest the size of a football field is getting destroyed every second.• Giant bamboo can grow up to 9 inches a day.• 80% of flowers in Australian rain forests arent found anywhere else in the world. Images off• Experts estimate that we are losing www.freedigitalimages.
3. • Did you know that 6% of the earth is rainforest and it is home to over half the worlds species of birds and plants.• 1/5 of the worlds plants and birds and 1/10 mammals are found in the Amazon!
4. Bromeliads- These plants are related to the pineapplefamily.Their thick, waxy leaves form a bowl shape in the centrefor catching rainwater.Buttress Roots- Some very tall trees have developedwaysof having much needed additional support by formingbuttressed roots, which grow out from the base of the trunksometimes as high as 15 feet above the ground.Carnivorous Plants- The best known of these isprobably the Venus fly trap, But more impressive is thepitcher plant Nepenthes rafflesia, found in southeast Asia.This plant grows to 30 feet tall and may have pitchers 12inches in length, usually full of digested insects. Pitcher Images offplants also eat small mammals and reptiles that attempt www.freedigitalimages.com
5. Epiphytes- Epiphytes, or air plants, grow everywherebutcan be found mainly on the branches, trunks, and even theleaves of trees.Lianas- Lianas are a type of climbing vine foundthroughouttropical rainforests. They have thick, woody stems andcome invarious lengths (up to 3,000 feet) and different shapes.Orchids- Orchids comprise is one of the most varied Images offflowering plant families. There are over 20,000 known www.freedigitalimages.comspecies and orchids are especially common in moist
6. Spider Monkey-Spider monkeys are large in size.Adult monkeys grow to be almost two feet tall excludingthe tail. They have a powerful tail that they use as an extralimb. Spider monkeys like to hang upside-down with allfour limbs and the tail holding on to branches which makesthem look like a spider.Toucan-There are about 40 different kinds of toucans.Theyvary in size from about 7 inches to a little over two feet.Theyhave short and thick necks.Poison Arrow Frog-Poison-arrow frogs aresocial frogs found in Central and South America. They are knownby their Images off www.freedigitalimages.com bright colours which warn other animals that they
7. Macaw- Macaws are the largest of all parrots.There are 16 different species of macaws and they rangeinsize from a little over three feet to one foot.They have tails that are as long or longer than theirbodies. They also have long, pointed wings thatenable them to fly swiftly.Sloth- Sloths are extremely slow-movingmammals found in the rainforest canopies of Central and SouthAmerica. Images offThere are two species of sloths, two toed and www.freedigitalimages.com
8. Rainforests have a lot oflocation around theworld. They are locatedmainly around theequators. Locationsinclude: Central America,India, Amazon, Australia,
9. Central America- A lot of rainforests in CentralAmerica has been demolished for sugar can farms andcattle ranching. A lot of plants found in these rainforestsare found nowhere else. Central America is famous for it’slarge amount of tropical birds, including many types ofparrots.The Amazon- The amazon jungle is the biggestrainforest in the world. The Amazon also has the secondlongest river in the world.Africa- Africa holds the second largest rainforest inthe world, the Madagascar. But a lot of it is gone.South East Asia-The rainforests of Asia stretch from
10. Tiger Gazelle HogGrass Leaves FruitImages off www.freedigitalimages.com