3. Hermann ________ (picture below), a Swisspsychologist, created an experiment in 1921 in whichsubjects’ interpretations of a particular thing are recordedand then analyzed using psychological interpretation andcomplex algorithm. It was the most popular projective testin the 1960’s. What is this experiment and what is itsconnection to the world of comics?
Rorschach inkblot test. Roschach’s mask fromWatchmen displays a constantly morphing inkblot thatis based on the ambiguous designs used in Rorschachinkblot tests.
5. TheMoon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatreof Marvels is a group of occultist performers who performoccult “workings” – occult prose and poetry set to music,sometimes accompanied with dancing. The group consists of X,who does the talking/speaking, and musicians David J and TimPerkins, who provide a musical backdrop to X’s monologue and X is also a Neopagan, ceremonial magician andverse.anarchist. X is however more famous in a different field. IDX.
6. The name of which film was initially Black Mask,before being changed?
Pulp Fiction, after the pulp magazine Black Mask
7. Name this character.What is the musical connectof one of its creators? Hisname is not required.(0.5+0.5)
Tank Girl. Jamie Hewlett, it’s co-creator, is also the co-creator of Gorillaz
8. The brutal murders of a farmer, hiswife and two of their children by thesetwo people formed the basis of whichpioneering book?
9. He is more powerful and older than God, and hisappearance changes depending on the person who isseeing him. He is the protagonist of which acclaimedcomic book series? Also name the character.(0.5+0.5)
10. X was a writer and filmmaker born in 1932. Hehad a PhD in Nuclear Physics from the University ofLondon, and had won many awards including theSahitya Academy Award, the Rajat Kamal at theNational Film Awards and the Padma Shri. Y is adetective novel written by X when he was still ateenager and its publication helped him gather themoney he required to travel to Calcutta for highereducation. X and Y please. (0.5+0.5)
11. This comic book character made his debut inJanuary 1983. Unlike other characters in themagazine, this character was not originallyconceptualized by the creators of the magazine.He grew out of three stories sent to by themagazine by a certain Sameer Salman. Artist RamWaeerkar illustrated the stories and continueddrawing this character until 2003. Identify.
12. The title of this 2010novel refers to the way childrenin rural Mississippi are taught towrite the letter S. It wasnominated for the Edgar Awardfor best novel, but lost out toThe Lock Artist by SteveHamilton. What is the name ofthis brilliant butunderappreciated novel?
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin
13. In American popular culture, what name is givento people who claim to be government agents andharass UFO witnesses to keep quiet about what theyhave seen?
14. Which forthcoming film isbased on this Greek thrillernovel of the 1960s?
Shanghai by Dibakar Bannerjee. There was anold Greek film too, but the new one is Shanghai
15. X and Y, two giant figures in the world of comics, werehigh school friends. In 1936, it was Y who encouraged X tosell cartoons to the new comic book Wow, What AMagazine! X went on to create the character shown in thenext slide, write one of the first graphic novels, helpestablish the graphic novel as a form of literature, and havethe most prestigious award in the industry named after him.Y went on to create one of the most enduring and popularcharacters ever. ID X and Y.
20. The following lines are from the last chapter of a novel. Fillin the blanks. The blanks also give the name of the book:You just slept ___ ___ _____, not caring about thenastiness of how you died or where you fell. Me, I was part ofthe nastiness now. Far more a part of it than Rusty Regan was.But the old man didnt have to be. He could lie quiet in hiscanopied bed, with his bloodless hands folded on thesheet, waiting. His heart was a brief, uncertain murmur. Histhoughts were as grey as ashes. And in a little while he too, likeRusty Regan, would be sleeping ___ ___ _____.