On seeing a previously known information, a specific measurable brain response known as a P300 or MERMER i.e. M emory and Encoding Related Multifaceted Electroencephalographic Response , is elicited by the brain of a subject.
When a person is exposed to a rare, but meaningful information, there is increase in neuron activity which results in an increase in voltage, typically within 300 – 1000msec after the stimulus, and that response with increases voltage is known as P300.
The utility of the P300 in detection of deception was recognized as early as 1988, However, the P300 has only a 87.5% success rate in revealing the presence of relevant information in one ’ s brain.
The main function of our experimental design is, to create a two-stimulus series for an individual without the specific information under investigation, and a three-stimulus series (with the same stimuli) for an individual who possesses knowledge of the specific information under investigation.
The entire Brain Fingerprinting system is under computer control, including presentation of the stimuli, recording of electrical brain activity, a mathematical data analysis algorithm that compares the responses to the three types of stimuli and produces a determination of "information absent" or "information present.“
Results have shown this technique to be capable of producing an "information absent" or "information present" determination, with a strong statistical confidence, in approximately 90% of the cases studied. All of the determinations were accurate. In the other 10% of cases the mathematical algorithm determined that there was insufficient information to make determination